Sick clownfish?

Jazzyspazzy143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I’m new to the saltwater fish world and I have this clownfish who I think might be sick. He eats great and and can be very playful with my other clownfish but over the past couple of days I’ve noticed that he tends to stay close to the bottom of the tank gasping for air and looks more pale than normal. He still plays with the other clownfish only he looks more like he’s trying to hide from her than play. I checked my water parameters and everything says it’s good. I’ve googled what it could be but there are so many different possibilities I’m not sure what it is or how to even try to treat him, any help would be greatly appreciated.

3FFC5C18-877A-46DA-9CBB-A11AAA47596D.jpeg 426D224A-FDDC-4FD4-9960-B0A1245ABDA4.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Clownfish don't "play" in the sense that we mean it...but they do fight for dominance. I see a little nick out of the black clown's dorsal, nothing serious, but it tells me they may be going through some issues.

The big issue is the rapid breathing, that can indicate gill parasites or water quality issues. What is your ammonia level testing at? What elase is in the tank other than the second clownfish?

Jay

OP
OP
Jazzyspazzy143

Jazzyspazzy143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Clownfish don't "play" in the sense that we mean it...but they do fight for dominance. I see a little nick out of the black clown's dorsal, nothing serious, but it tells me they may be going through some issues.

The big issue is the rapid breathing, that can indicate gill parasites or water quality issues. What is your ammonia level testing at? What elase is in the tank other than the second clownfish?

Jay
Ooh I didn’t know that thank you! The ammonia is coming up 0 when I tested it early today. I have the 2 clownfish a chromis and a Cardinalfish along with 2 yellow dwarf crabs and a Halloween crab.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - one other thing I forgot to check: does the tank have good aeration? A protein skimmer, air stone or a water pump that breaks the surface tension? Anything that makes bubbles?

If aeration is good and the ammonia is zero, that points more to a disease. The trouble is going to be if this is a gill parasite, the effective treatment (copper) can’t be done with invertebrates in the same tank, so I’m not really sure how to advise you to proceed.

Jay

OP
OP
Jazzyspazzy143

Jazzyspazzy143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an air stone but none of those other things. I have a qt tank that I just moved him over to. I did a freshwater bath and moved him over to the qt tank so I can do whatever he needs done. If it is a gill infection should I just look for some medicine with copper in it? Again thank you so much for your help!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an air stone but none of those other things. I have a qt tank that I just moved him over to. I did a freshwater bath and moved him over to the qt tank so I can do whatever he needs done. If it is a gill infection should I just look for some medicine with copper in it? Again thank you so much for your help!
Copper in a treatment tank would be the way I would go, but please understand this is by no means a confirmed diagnosis...
Jay

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back