Sick clownfish

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a pair of clowns from the LFS a little over a week ago. I put them in QT and they seemed to be doing really well. They both looked like they were swimming well, etc. I couldn't see any marks or discoloration on them. I was planning to take a wait and see approach rather than treat anything preemptively.

No matter what I tried feeding, the smaller of the two (both are really small but one was slightly smaller) would not eat. He would swim toward the food as soon as it went in but then would turn away. I literally tried frozen brine, frozen emerald entree, omega one flakes, hikari marine s, hikari seaweed extreme and nori---all different combinations with Selcon and Garlic. Everything I put in, he would swim toward like he was going to eat and then turn away. Meanwhile the other clown eats everything I drop in. I did start to think he looked thin. Like the part of his body directly after his gills was thinner than his head. This went on for a week and then I woke up yesterday to find the smaller one dead. I still didn't see any marks on him...kind of just looked like he starved to death. Yesterday I spent a lot of time in a lot of different light looking at the remaining clown and noticed a small wound? on the base of his left fin. I don't know if it was always there or appeared at some point in the last week. It's almost invisible in a lot of lights but from the right angle, you can clearly see it.

He's still eating and seems to be swimming OK. Maybe shaking his head or twitching a little? It's hard for me to tell because it seems like clowns swim pretty erratically to begin with.
I have Cupramine and Pazipro on hand. Should I treat with either of those? With something else?

OP
OP
Mattyreefs

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrate is 10. I check every day and there's been no ammonia increase since it finished cycling with biospira, dr tims ammonia and sponges I had in my DT for a few weeks.

I have a seachem ammonia alert badge and I've also checked with API and Red Sea.

I don't check any other parameters in the QT. It's never had fish before these two clowns. Any other parameters I should check?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back