Sick clownfish

jmurphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had two clownfish, the one depicted just died. The first clowns symptoms were as follows. Pale skin, lethargy, and bright red gills. Water parameters were all fine after all testing. The black clown below was displaying no signs of distress. I preformed a 50% water change and unfortunately the clown died. Fast forward three weeks later to today and the same thing has happened. I preformed another 50 percent water change after testing due to my nitrates being 3ppm( usually 0). I have included photos of this guy up close to see if anyone would recognize any diseases. Really at a loss here. I have kept fish for years and never had this issue. Want to make sure I’m not missing anything before adding new fish.

76C73E1F-385A-4E71-928A-FE0BB2ED1C19.jpeg E30E9AF3-7C35-40C6-A932-7D0F730B66DD.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Was ammonia testing at zero?
This fish’s belly is really pinched, did it look like that prior to dying?
When you say the skin was pale, could it be mucus? That is a sign of Brooklynella, a common clownfish disease.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I had two clownfish, the one depicted just died. The first clowns symptoms were as follows. Pale skin, lethargy, and bright red gills. Water parameters were all fine after all testing. The black clown below was displaying no signs of distress. I preformed a 50% water change and unfortunately the clown died. Fast forward three weeks later to today and the same thing has happened. I preformed another 50 percent water change after testing due to my nitrates being 3ppm( usually 0). I have included photos of this guy up close to see if anyone would recognize any diseases. Really at a loss here. I have kept fish for years and never had this issue. Want to make sure I’m not missing anything before adding new fish.

76C73E1F-385A-4E71-928A-FE0BB2ED1C19.jpeg E30E9AF3-7C35-40C6-A932-7D0F730B66DD.jpeg
Unfortunately, assessing a fish thats both dead and out of water makes it extremely difficult to determine cause, However what can help is:
Was fish breathing normally or labored?
Was fish darting or twitching ?
Was fish eating the entire time?
What foods were you feeding ?

Fish appears somewhat thin. brook is my suspect. What is current ammonia and ph as well as salinity?
Also, nitrate can be up to 10- does not have to be zero But ammonia should be that low.
Are you using tap water from faucet or RODI water ?

OP
OP
J

jmurphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, assessing a fish thats both dead and out of water makes it extremely difficult to determine cause, However what can help is:

Fish appears somewhat thin. brook is my suspect. What is current ammonia and ph as well as salinity?
Also, nitrate can be up to 10- does not have to be zero But ammonia should be that low.
Are you using tap water from faucet or RODI water ?l

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

When you say the skin was pale, could it be mucus? That is a sign of Brooklynella, a common clownfish disease.

Jay

-PH 8.0
-Ammonia 0
- Salinity 35ppm
-Fish was breathing quickly
-Fish was eating fine
-Only feed frozen mysis
-Fish was not darting he was swimming normally and just suddenly was trying to find areas of the tank with low flow
- only use RODI water, the unit is practically brand new as well.
Now that you mention this fish being thin, he did appear to be a lot fuller prior to whatever event occurred.

OP
OP
J

jmurphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay
So the pinched belly is from removal of the fish. After death it became wedged in an opening between the rocks.

The pale skin I don’t think is mucus, it’s almost like the fish just suddenly become transparent.
Ammonia is at 0.

I will do some reading on Brooklynella.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
-PH 8.0
-Ammonia 0
- Salinity 35ppm
-Fish was breathing quickly
-Fish was eating fine
-Only feed frozen mysis
-Fish was not darting he was swimming normally and just suddenly was trying to find areas of the tank with low flow
- only use RODI water, the unit is practically brand new as well.
Now that you mention this fish being thin, he did appear to be a lot fuller prior to whatever event occurred.
For the future, mysis not a total diet. Add to menu:
LRS fish frenzy
Spirulina brine shrimp
Formula 1
Hikari marine cuisine
Small plankton

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back