Sick Coral - Leave Alone or Do Something?

ChrisKSB

King of GHA Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this elegance coral for less than a week, it was slow to 'wake up' this morning and never really fully opened.

It looked like this, with the left edge all curled in

PXL_20210202_003020872.jpg

PXL_20210202_003037067.jpg

That was about an hour ago, now it looks like this -

PXL_20210202_010727827.jpg

Tested all parameters and did a water change yesterday. Everything was in the green on the params. I did move the coral about 3 inches over from where it is - but still getting same light and flow as before.

Should I wait and hope for it to get better, or is there some course of action I should be taking?

I appreciate any input, thanks!

OP
OP
ChrisKSB

ChrisKSB

King of GHA Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 100% on the Nitrates...I'm 1/2 blind using an API kit. Ordering a Hanna checker right now! I've been battling GHA, so maybe nitrates show lower because of the GHA?

I'll leave it alone for the night, over feed my fish a bit and try spot feeding it in the morning. Will check nitrates with the Hanna when it arrives!

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d leave it alone. Elegance are weird especially when you first get them in your tank. If nitrates are that low it wouldn’t be good.

Still would leave it and see how it looks tomorrow. Have you tested your magnesium?

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need to get nitrates up, reef roids help, if you have zoas or other lps

OP
OP
ChrisKSB

ChrisKSB

King of GHA Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I also want to add a note that I googled and site searched this topic and found A TON of information. I just wanted to present MY experience as it is happening now, and see what y'all thought!

I appreciate that I've gotten positive feedback and good information and not negativity.

Thank you.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I also want to add a note that I googled and site searched this topic and found A TON of information. I just wanted to present MY experience as it is happening now, and see what y'all thought!

I appreciate that I've gotten positive feedback and good information and not negativity.

Thank you.
What we are here for! Good luck and happy reefing!

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, nothing can be at the snap of a fingers, slowly perfect your numbers and enjoy every second of it!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back