Sick Emperor Angel

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I dont know what is wrong with my Emperor (Juv). He had Ich like 3-4 months back. He was treated with copper and hypo for over a month. During that time he got rid of the ich and started eating less things. He came to a point where he only ate algae sheets. My Majestic Angel who also had Ich (adult) also was being treated but remained eating everything i put in there, shrimp, pellets, sheets, literally anything i put in. The Emperor used to eat Pellets soaked in Garlic, Pellets not soaked, some flakes and the Algae sheets as well.

Anyway he has been around for at least 8-10 months with me. After the copper/hypo they both seemed good except that Emperor only ate algae sheets. I moved them to a newly setup tank 150 Gal/20 Sump. tank was cycled for about a month, saw the algae blooms, changed water and everyone has been in the new tank for over a month already. While moving, both angels got caught in the net(1 at a time) and it was hard to get him loose. Point is i definitely stressed them out while moving them. My Majestic seems a little shy in the new tank but she definitely swims all over and eats the same. Emperor on the other hand has been eating less and less. He is getting all blotchy in color. No ich spots and no mucus or anything coming off of his skin. 1 day i did notice a small white string hanging out of his anus really small, looked like a little white hook coming out. I haven't seen it for a few days but he has stopped eating from what I can see.

Yesterday i setup my QT 35 Gal and put him in there alone, no sand just 1 plastic rock for him to hide behind. Skimmer, Filter with no media and a heater. I dosed the tank with Parashield but not even sure what he has. Def not Ich and although i have never seen velvet from what i read it doesnt sound like it because its actually color loss spots on him.

Parashield claims treats or "relieves" symptoms of ich, velvet and other common parasites. Anyway its been 1 day and I think he will recover but I am not sure what he even has or if i am treating correctly....

20140607_192449.jpg
20140607_192441.jpg

Last edited:

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to try and get him eating something other than nori. At this point i would even try live brine to get his attention. These spots are likely just color loss due to stress and malnutrition. For future reference if you are treating a fish with copper and it stops eating stop the copper treatment. It is an indication that the fish is reacting bad to the copper and continued use can cause more harm than good. Is he actually pooping or is the last thing you saw that string?

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i was doing the copper/hypo I introduced the algae sheets, he stopped eating everything else in preference to the sheets. I stopped the copper and put carbon in the tank for about 2 months no copper. Both Angels lost all spots, got their color back fully. I did a few water changes, got the salt back to normal and temp back to normal. they stood in there for about 2 months after the copper doing fine. Only change was he stopped eating everything but the sheets. After i moved them to the new tank they both showed signs of stress, loss of color. ( they got caught in the net ). My majestic looks perfectly normal except that she seems more shy than normal, but she has all her color and eats and poops normal. Since the new tank he has been eating less and less and now i noticed he maybe has actually swallowed very little. I have not seen a poop from him or cant really tell whos poop it was when i saw it. I did see a small white (very small) string sticking out of his anus.
Today has been 1 full 24 hours in the QT. I have not seen him eat but the pellets i put in there are gone so He must have eaten it. I definitely saw all the pellets fall to the floor and they are all gone, so they can not have floated back up and into the filter. (its a hang on)

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good. Sounds like he has just had a stressful few months. No more veggies for him until he eats his meat then lol. I am not familiar with parashield does it treat internal worms? The stringy poop may just be because he wasn't really eating but a worm would also cause it. I would look into a specimen container to move the angels with as nets can be a pain for both us and the fish.

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It claims it does, i have a bottle of prazzipro but never used it. ( again not sure what i should be treating for, but ive used the parashield before and it worked good )
Moving him to the QT i was a little more careful, he is friendly, i gently put the net away from him so he can see it and stay away from it and he let me pick him up with my hand. Was a much easier move that way. Im lucky its not the Majestic, she can be friendly but no where as near as him. she will not let me pick her up with my hand, but then again she is always been more stronger, I guess cause shes an adult. I will try some thaws frozen food with him tomorrow.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back