Sick Fish in QT - Treatment advice

KT44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sick fish question/ sorry for the novel:
We have a flame hawk fish, orchid dottyback and a fire fish in QT.
We had a Flame angelfish but he died last night and now the dottyback is experiencing similar symptoms.
They were all dosed with 10 days of metro/prime mysis. Followed by prazi which lead to a bacterial bloom. The angel started getting pale just before the last dose of prazi and we noticed a large white spot on his head just above his eye as well as ich spots. We had a 2nd QT tank cycling and were waiting to move them until it was done. We added a large air stone and did 50% water change in the meantime.
Weds, the angel didn’t eat, started floating on his side. We moved him to the new tank, put him in an acclimation box since he kept getting sucked against the overflow grate. Dosed some Ruby Reef and hoped for the best. He seemed to improve but started swimming/floating head up so we assumed maybe a swim bladder issue as well as ich. We added some kick ich. And he again, seemed to be maintaining. Yesterday evening he was laying on his side and breathing heavy and obviously we knew he wasn’t going to make it through the night.
Our problem is now the dotty back has a large white patch on his side and is occasionally swimming upright. All fish have been eating well and are a few days into Ruby/Kick Ich treatment. We had planned copper power but the angel made us change that plan.
Advice is appreciated. And we do know that dwarf angels are very sensitive. I’m positive the bacterial bloom was our initial stressor for him. We will be switching our QT process to API general cure in the future to hopefully prevent a repeat.
Curious about the white patch as prazi should’ve taken care of a bacterial infection, correct? Hoping to save the dottyback and prevent illness in the other 2 fish. I will try to get a picture but the little guy is camera shy.
Water parameters:
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.25ppm
Nitrate 5.0
(last dosed ruby/kick ich 24 hrs ago)
LFS just recommended Ich X, maracyn and API GC. Thoughts?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sick fish question/ sorry for the novel:
We have a flame hawk fish, orchid dottyback and a fire fish in QT.
We had a Flame angelfish but he died last night and now the dottyback is experiencing similar symptoms.
They were all dosed with 10 days of metro/prime mysis. Followed by prazi which lead to a bacterial bloom. The angel started getting pale just before the last dose of prazi and we noticed a large white spot on his head just above his eye as well as ich spots. We had a 2nd QT tank cycling and were waiting to move them until it was done. We added a large air stone and did 50% water change in the meantime.
Weds, the angel didn’t eat, started floating on his side. We moved him to the new tank, put him in an acclimation box since he kept getting sucked against the overflow grate. Dosed some Ruby Reef and hoped for the best. He seemed to improve but started swimming/floating head up so we assumed maybe a swim bladder issue as well as ich. We added some kick ich. And he again, seemed to be maintaining. Yesterday evening he was laying on his side and breathing heavy and obviously we knew he wasn’t going to make it through the night.
Our problem is now the dotty back has a large white patch on his side and is occasionally swimming upright. All fish have been eating well and are a few days into Ruby/Kick Ich treatment. We had planned copper power but the angel made us change that plan.
Advice is appreciated. And we do know that dwarf angels are very sensitive. I’m positive the bacterial bloom was our initial stressor for him. We will be switching our QT process to API general cure in the future to hopefully prevent a repeat.
Curious about the white patch as prazi should’ve taken care of a bacterial infection, correct? Hoping to save the dottyback and prevent illness in the other 2 fish. I will try to get a picture but the little guy is camera shy.
Water parameters:
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.25ppm
Nitrate 5.0
(last dosed ruby/kick ich 24 hrs ago)
LFS just recommended Ich X, maracyn and API GC. Thoughts?
I’m sorry you are having trouble. I‘m bumping this so someone else can hopefully help. I’ll also post a link to the quarantine method I now use that has increased my success rate tremendously. Good luck.

OP
OP
K

KT44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry you are having trouble. I‘m bumping this so someone else can hopefully help. I’ll also post a link to the quarantine method I now use that has increased my success rate tremendously. Good luck.

Thanks for the bump! And we’ll definitely rethink our QT process offer this.
We ended up dosing Ich X and maracyn at the LFS’s suggestion.

Getting concerned as the fire fish is seeming to have buoyancy issues now. He keeps listing sideways. And the hawk fish is breathing quickly.
I have no idea what’s going on as all these fish looked great the last 2 weeks.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the bump! And we’ll definitely rethink our QT process offer this.
We ended up dosing Ich X and maracyn at the LFS’s suggestion.

Getting concerned as the fire fish is seeming to have buoyancy issues now. He keeps listing sideways. And the hawk fish is breathing quickly.
I have no idea what’s going on as all these fish looked great the last 2 weeks.
@Big G might have some advice

Back