Sick Fish?

tlanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice would be appreciated. I've got a flame angel in my 75 gallon tank for about 3 weeks. His right eye has become slightly discolored, almost cloudy. Eating fine, swimming active but the eye is certainly looking different than when I got him a few weeks ago. Only noticed this today so I think it just developed. I don't have a quarantine setup but can throw something together tomorrow if needed. I'm not sure how I would catch this angel with all the rock work. I've got a bunch of soft corals in the tank. Other fish (2 small clowns and 3 chromis) look fine. Any suggestions?

bellasdad0911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice would be appreciated. I've got a flame angel in my 75 gallon tank for about 3 weeks. His right eye has become slightly discolored, almost cloudy. Eating fine, swimming active but the eye is certainly looking different than when I got him a few weeks ago. Only noticed this today so I think it just developed. I don't have a quarantine setup but can throw something together tomorrow if needed. I'm not sure how I would catch this angel with all the rock work. I've got a bunch of soft corals in the tank. Other fish (2 small clowns and 3 chromis) look fine. Any suggestions?

Tlanz, just had this happen to me with the same
Fish. Was great for a week then both eyes popped out and were cloudy. He was eating great till this happened. Then he wouldn’t eat for 3 days, became very slow and you will notice the fish will not come out into the light simply because imagine only seeing a reflective white light. So he would dwell under rockwork. Eventually if parameters are good and left undisturbed, what end last up being a bacterial infection will eventually clear up on it own. Here is the key, once the fish can start to see again, he should begin to try and eat again, it will be hard because his sight is hindered by the mucus on the eye. Once he eats you will see it lessen and eventually he will be back to normal. Mine ( knock on wood ) is fully cured. I went against all instinct and just let nature and good food soaked in garlic and selcon do it thing. Patience and stability is the best treatment.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it swollen, like pop-eye? It could be an injury, or the start of an infection :/

OP
OP
T

tlanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it swollen, like pop-eye? It could be an injury, or the start of an infection :/

Not swollen, just cloudy in one eye. I'll watch for swelling in the am and tomorrow. Any recommended action?

OP
OP
T

tlanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tlanz, just had this happen to me with the same
Fish. Was great for a week then both eyes popped out and were cloudy. He was eating great till this happened. Then he wouldn’t eat for 3 days, became very slow and you will notice the fish will not come out into the light simply because imagine only seeing a reflective white light. So he would dwell under rockwork. Eventually if parameters are good and left undisturbed, what end last up being a bacterial infection will eventually clear up on it own. Here is the key, once the fish can start to see again, he should begin to try and eat again, it will be hard because his sight is hindered by the mucus on the eye. Once he eats you will see it lessen and eventually he will be back to normal. Mine ( knock on wood ) is fully cured. I went against all instinct and just let nature and good food soaked in garlic and selcon do it thing. Patience and stability is the best treatment.

Thanks. I can only hope for the same. Any reason to worry about this spreading to other fish if it's bacterial? I've got a UV sterilizer running regularly on the tank.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has he ever been treated for flukes with a freshwater dip or PraziPro? Prazi-Pro can be used in a reef, but is likely to affect any worms in the tank.

Alternatively, it's possible that you've got a bacterial infection warming up. If so, that would require treatment in a QT. A photo would help, and Melypr1985 and Humblefish are folks you should listen to when they chime in.

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not swollen, just cloudy in one eye. I'll watch for swelling in the am and tomorrow. Any recommended action?
Thanks. I can only hope for the same. Any reason to worry about this spreading to other fish if it's bacterial? I've got a UV sterilizer running regularly on the tank.

It's either an infection or flukes, most likely. An eye infection will sometimes remedy itself, or sometimes an antibiotic (e.g. erythromycin) is needed. In all cases, soaking his food with a vitamin supplement will help boost the immune system: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vitamins-herbal-remedies.304287/

If he has flukes, you should notice other symptoms such as yawning, head twitching and scratching. As mentioned above, Prazipro treats flukes: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/prazipro.247598/

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back