Sick Fish

kaylshouse15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few fish have died in very short time, I'm thinking velvet? Have taken some samples of infected fish. Can anyone confirm what is on these slides please ??

Thanks in advance

20220701_164034.jpg 20220701_164413.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few fish have died in very short time, I'm thinking velvet? Have taken some samples of infected fish. Can anyone confirm what is on these slides please ??

Thanks in advance

20220701_164034.jpg 20220701_164413.jpg

I find identifying organisms from slides produced by somebody else very difficult.

Where was the tissue taken, what is the magnification, and what stain was used? Then, what are the symptoms the fish are showing?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im on same page with Jay. After death Slides are difficult. Any pics by chance of fish with sisease before death?
If this helps, Some symptoms you should have seen with velvet would have been:
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body
- rapid breathing and mucus around the gills

Fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. As the disease progresses outwards from the gills, the cysts then become visible on the fins and body.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi , pics or short video of current fish,could help tremendously.

OP
OP
kaylshouse15

kaylshouse15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extremely bad picture, I'm working my husband is at home. This is one of the affected fish. Iv only notice sandy spots all over them then death. Never really went off food or went ill. The puffer is now at the bottom with closed eyes and heavy breathing and discolouration

Slides were from body of fish, stain used called rapi-diff stain, magnifications was 100 x with oil immersion lense.

Attachments

• IMG-20220701-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220701-WA0003.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 43

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The stain is basically the equivalent of an H/E stain. (Hematoxylin/Eosin)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how to interpret the photomicrographs - I’m out at the marina for the weekend and all my histology texts are at home. I can almost see a clear envelope around each stained cell. If so, Amyloodinium/velvet doesn’t stain like that. There are also a lot of them. I wonder if you scraped and stained some mucus?
In any event the fish either seem to have velvet or late stage marine ich with secondary infection. The treatment for both would be a full dose of copper in a treatment tank. You might consider a 5 minute FW dip going in to buy some time as copper doesn’t wok right away. I also should add that once fish loss has begun due to parasitic disease it is very difficult to stop things before more fish die….
Jay

OP
OP
kaylshouse15

kaylshouse15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how to interpret the photomicrographs - I’m out at the marina for the weekend and all my histology texts are at home. I can almost see a clear envelope around each stained cell. If so, Amyloodinium/velvet doesn’t stain like that. There are also a lot of them. I wonder if you scraped and stained some mucus?
In any event the fish either seem to have velvet or late stage marine ich with secondary infection. The treatment for both would be a full dose of copper in a treatment tank. You might consider a 5 minute FW dip going in to buy some time as copper doesn’t wok right away. I also should add that once fish loss has begun due to parasitic disease it is very difficult to stop things before more fish die….
Jay
thanks so much for your reply! I will try this!

OP
OP
kaylshouse15

kaylshouse15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
how long for a FW dip ?

OP
OP
kaylshouse15

kaylshouse15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
ignore my last comment just re read your comment after running and grabbing my stuff for a FW dip

OP
OP
kaylshouse15

kaylshouse15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Done my FW dip and so much stuff came out of him, he is not very happy but already see a diffrance! less cloudiness and more energetic! Thank you !

Attachments

• 20220701_220906.jpg
    20220701_220906.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 24

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done my FW dip and so much stuff came out of him, he is not very happy but already see a diffrance! less cloudiness and more energetic! Thank you !
Ok, this may buy you some time, but you need to get a full treatment started right away - coppersafe at full strength is my preference.
Jay

OP
OP
kaylshouse15

kaylshouse15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this may buy you some time, but you need to get a full treatment started right away - coppersafe at full strength is my preference.
Jay
iv just said bugger it and thew it in my display tank, it's fish only ! Iv ordered a copper testing kit but it won't arrive till Monday.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me what the copper level guidelines?
Depends which copper product you are using. Coppersafe is 2.5 ppm for 30 days. Copper Power is 2.1 ppm for 30, but some people push it to 2.5 Cupramine is .5 for 14 days, but most people take it to 30. Ionic copper is 0.20 for 20 days.
Jay

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#fishmedic
sorry ,i am not sure if levels are the same with coppersafe and copper power.
i did see @kaylshouse15 you added to tank with rock and sand.
do think will do damage to your biological filtration ,and absorb the copper ?
experts ,correct me if i am wrong please.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#fishmedic
sorry ,i am not sure if levels are the same with coppersafe and copper power.
i did see @kaylshouse15 you added to tank with rock and sand.
do think will do damage to your biological filtration ,and absorb the copper ?
experts ,correct me if i am wrong please.
Here is what Jay says:
Depends which copper product you are using. Coppersafe is 2.5 ppm for 30 days. Copper Power is 2.1 ppm for 30, but some people push it to 2.5 Cupramine is .5 for 14 days, but most people take it to 30. Ionic copper is 0.20 for 20 days.
Jay
I do not think its a good idea to add copper to a tank with rock/sand

OP
OP
kaylshouse15

kaylshouse15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a QT, and I have only fish in the tank so it's my best option I know its not ideal. I'm using cupramine. My copper testing has arrived, it's showing nothing in the system but its the first dose will try it again at the 2nd dose

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back