OP
OP
GaryE

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested the water since he’s acted different ?

No, will test this morning.

It's a 75 gal. I'm disappointed in myself for not researching this fish before buying. My LFS assured me he'd be fine in this tank. If he survives this, I'll be looking to re-home him in a larger tank asap.

OP
OP
GaryE

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested the water since he’s acted different ?

I did do about a 17 gallon water change on Wednesday. I am not sure why my salinity is dropping when I do water changes. Will have to check the water I am getting from the LFS. I didn't check ALK or CA this time as I didn't feel they were relevant to my issue, nothing has happened in the last 2 days to significantly drop or raise either of those.

I'm confident this isn't an issue with chemistry. I do have some Red Ogo algae in my refugium that's not looking so great, not sure that'd cause one fish out of 5 to have issues, but I'll pull it out.

Clowns, Hawkfish, Sleeper Goby are all just fine. As are my hermits, Turbo snails and all of the other tiny snails and pods (got a healthy population in a nice 1 inch diameter hole in a rock I can see). I also have a small group of about 12 Zoas on the rock my Bubble tip lives in that are about 4 to 5 mm in diameter that are all looking just fine. BTA is looking normal too.

Only fish showing signs of distress is the Foxface.

1587732267115.png

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s quite rare to see these fish come down with diseases and irregularities, everyone says they’re super sturdy fish on average. I’m not sure what’s going on but I do hope he’ll pull through. I’m getting a One Spot for my tank.

Angels and Tangs on the other hand there’s like 5 threads made on them in this section every single day. Butterflies I heard are fragile too.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s quite rare to see these fish come down with diseases and irregularities, everyone says they’re super sturdy fish on average. I’m not sure what’s going on but I do hope he’ll pull through. I’m getting a One Spot for my tank.

Angels and Tangs on the other hand there’s like 5 threads made on them in this section every single day. Butterflies I heard are fragile too.
As I’ve said above .
I’ve had a anemone go into a power head years ago and nuke my whole tank killing everything over night .
The only thing to live through it was a 6” foxface and a black brittle starfish

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I’ve said above .
I’ve had a anemone go into a power head years ago and nuke my whole tank killing everything over night .
The only thing to live through it was a 6” foxface and a black brittle starfish
I’d lean more towards Looking into ammonia spike , or something else .
The op posted the salinity is always low
How much of a swing is occurring etc

Fowler freak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the mean time while you’re trying to get supplies and figure this out I’d try to minimize stress as much as possible. I know you have anemones and zoas but bare minimum turn off the lights. Did notice a film on him so hopefully the Rally helps out. Good luck

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total noob here, but what are some of the things that may lead to an ammonia spike in a tank that’s fairly new but not “that” new (as in under 3 months).

I suggest you create your own thread so reef squad can help you, usually it’s adding too many fish to fast or the tank didn’t fully cycle

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back