Sick Gramma - getting ready to QT all lifestock

KathCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I was wondering, if you could help me identify if it is velvet my Gramma has? What makes me hesitant is, that he already started loosing color back in August. As he was alone until recently, I didn't realize how faded he is
Symptoms Gramma: breathing fast, mouth looks weird like of a grandma without teeth, a white coat, really not sure if I can identify white spots, fins aren't looking healthy, hiding in his cave. However he is eating.
Back in August his first mate died, had a swollen eye from the beginning and was faded as well.

I have a new baby tang in my tank, he is itching hinself against rocks. The others seem to be ok for the moment. Over here in Europe we are so stupid to not quarantine. Won't happen again, but here we go. I want to act fast and avoid loosing fish. Surprisingly the Gramma recovered a bit since yesterday, was expecting him to be gone by this morning, but he is fighting and looking better.

My plannis to do TTM in the 36 hour rythm for 20 days and leave the tank fishless for 6 weeks. Only adding protomor and ektomor to ensure I catch everything.

Please let me know what you think, I'm open to advice

Attachments

• 20201029_105356.mp4
    25.1 MB

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM is not effective for treating velvet, only ich.
Humblefish has developed a protocol to treat both Ich and Velvet using TTM.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I was wondering, if you could help me identify if it is velvet my Gramma has? What makes me hesitant is, that he already started loosing color back in August. As he was alone until recently, I didn't realize how faded he is
Symptoms Gramma: breathing fast, mouth looks weird like of a grandma without teeth, a white coat, really not sure if I can identify white spots, fins aren't looking healthy, hiding in his cave. However he is eating.
Back in August his first mate died, had a swollen eye from the beginning and was faded as well.

I have a new baby tang in my tank, he is itching hinself against rocks. The others seem to be ok for the moment. Over here in Europe we are so stupid to not quarantine. Won't happen again, but here we go. I want to act fast and avoid loosing fish. Surprisingly the Gramma recovered a bit since yesterday, was expecting him to be gone by this morning, but he is fighting and looking better.

My plannis to do TTM in the 36 hour rythm for 20 days and leave the tank fishless for 6 weeks. Only adding protomor and ektomor to ensure I catch everything.

Please let me know what you think, I'm open to advice
In most cases Velvet kills VERY QUICKLY and as such this is probably not Velvet. It would also rapidly spread throughout the tank with a massive if not total die off within a day or two.

OP
OP
KathCH

KathCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most cases Velvet kills VERY QUICKLY and as such this is probably not Velvet. It would also rapidly spread throughout the tank with a massive if not total die off within a day or two.
Exatly what makes me wonder. Maybe sth bacterial. Thanks to Cyanos I have dosed a higher amount of special blend yesterday and now he is doing better

OP
OP
KathCH

KathCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And this is quoted just lile this in many other forums as success

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know this; I did not think you could link to that info here.
Anyway the issue reads urgent. TTM is for healthy fish that might have ich.
Also the OP is in Europe which means that the meds we take for granted may not be available.
If it is velvet I would setup a QT, dose CopperPower to 1ppm and dose SeaChem Metroplex as directed. Raise the copper to the effective concentration over the next couple of days.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back