Sick Lubbock...

TD13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get a picture of him cause he's buried in the rock work. One eye is extremely swollen and there is white on the same side. It doesn't look like ich. Never seen this one before... Does that give you enough to go on?

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bummer! Had same issue with my Bangai Cardinal. I woke up one morning and bam, his 1 eye was litteraly 3 times the size of his other. I was told is was popeye, and was told to use Kanaplex by Seachem. My guy did not make it, so I have no idea if this treatment would actually help or not, and I dont even know what happened but GL!

OP
OP
TD13

TD13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw the pop eye, he's the only fish with the issue and I have tested my water. All seems good and stable. This is day 3 of his eye being swollen.

OP
OP
TD13

TD13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw the pop eye, he's the only fish with the issue and I have tested my water. All seems good and stable. This is day 3 of his eye being swollen. I just went in to check on him and it's a good thing. My serpent star was mounting to have a nice meal. I secured the Wrasse in a breeder box in the tank as I don't have a QT set up right now.

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just the one eye? That usually is caused by an injury to the eye and it got infected. You can do one of two things... or both if you feel the need. You can keep the water really clean, feed vitamin enriched foods (using selcon, vitachem, ect) or you can treat with an antibiotic like kanaplex. This can be fed in the food using Focus to bind it, or you can treat him in a QT. It's slow acting, but better if done in a QT as it absorbs readily into the fish's skin. Keep trying to get a picture for us though.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just the one eye? That usually is caused by an injury to the eye and it got infected. You can do one of two things... or both if you feel the need. You can keep the water really clean, feed vitamin enriched foods (using selcon, vitachem, ect) or you can treat with an antibiotic like kanaplex. This can be fed in the food using Focus to bind it, or you can treat him in a QT. It's slow acting, but better if done in a QT as it absorbs readily into the fish's skin. Keep trying to get a picture for us though.
I agree. I would treat with kanaplex. Wrasse seem to be quite susceptible to this when stressed and new to the hobby.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kanaplex in qt I would not do it in main tank. If it was out of it to the point it let a starfish wrap around it then well that's not good.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kanaplex in qt I would not do it in main tank. If it was out of it to the point it let a starfish wrap around it then well that's not good.

^^Agreed. It sounds like the fish is pretty weak/sick. Not having a QT really limits your options, but you can try soaking Kanaplex in food (using Seachem Focus as the binder) if the fish is still able to eat. Erythromycin would be a good substitute for Kanaplex in this particular situation (eye infection).

OP
OP
TD13

TD13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I REALLY appreciate everyones help. He was gone when I got up this morning. I suppose I need to get everything together for a QT in the future...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I REALLY appreciate everyones help. He was gone when I got up this morning. I suppose I need to get everything together for a QT in the future...

Sorry about the wrasse :(... but yes, having a QT is highly advisable.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back