Sick Mocha Storm 8(

Salty B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’ve been into saltwater for about 5 months now using a penn-plax aqua sphere 360 24 gallon setup and a fluval evo 13.5 setup. The 24 gallon currently has one green torch, a cleaner shrimp, 3 chocolate chip starsfish, 2 snails, 4 hermits, and two clowns. I currently removed my mocha clown due to it having a weird coloration on it with really fast breathing and sitting at the bottom of the tank. However after putting him in a 1.5 gallon quarantine tank and a day he’s been swimming around mostly and now only sometimes sitting at the bottom. He still eats like a champ...

Here are some pictures when I first moved him to the quarantine tank.
Here’s also a short video of him
8690A5F6-B46F-402E-9A5C-663719FD9375.jpeg
99A1E425-62EA-4D67-98F6-D1E50EB6B440.jpeg
E4FFBCE4-7959-4008-84A7-A29C3AE12FAC.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the time frame, and the fact that the other clown seems fine, I don't think it is one of the parasitic diseases. I see some issues in the video - the mocha is breathing hard, is thin, and is swimming with a stiff body, not the typical "tail-wagging puppy" look that clowns should have. This points to some sort of systemic infection. Trouble is, it could be many things, most of which simply are not treatable (virus, Mycobacterium, Microsporidian). Obviously, you want to try something, but all I can suggest is monitor the ammonia VERY well in that tiny QT, feed it good and dose the tank with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic such as Neoplex or Maracyn 2.

Jay

OP
OP
Salty B

Salty B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially medicated some kanaplex when I first moved him there because it was the only thing available at my LFS and that was in a day he started moving and swimming regularly. But he periodically looks like he gets tired now. So I did try some furan 2 yesterday as well after doing the water change. He seems better off doing frequent water changes currently. He’s had it with some treatment for about 7 days.
Here are the medicines I have available:
Kanaplex
Metroplex
Cupramine
API general cure
Api furan 2
Paraguard
Stressguard
.... now that I typed that out... smh...
Should I opt for the two you mentioned or are some of these similar. Also I’m very thankful for this response and everyone’s response and this community!!!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
good luck with your clown,your in good hand's now.. :cool:

and ,welcome to the reef ,great place to be..:)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially medicated some kanaplex when I first moved him there because it was the only thing available at my LFS and that was in a day he started moving and swimming regularly. But he periodically looks like he gets tired now. So I did try some furan 2 yesterday as well after doing the water change. He seems better off doing frequent water changes currently. He’s had it with some treatment for about 7 days.
Here are the medicines I have available:
Kanaplex
Metroplex
Cupramine
API general cure
Api furan 2
Paraguard
Stressguard
.... now that I typed that out... smh...
Should I opt for the two you mentioned or are some of these similar. Also I’m very thankful for this response and everyone’s response and this community!!!
I would stick with the furan. It can take days to get a bacterial infection turned around. Just to reiterate, the problem may well not be treatable- sorry!
Jay

OP
OP
Salty B

Salty B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I understand, just hoping for the best. I appreciate the response though. Will post follow pics of the progress.

OP
OP
Salty B

Salty B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I should revert back to the kanaplax originally it appears as something is working. Here’s an update side by by photos and video. Top was the 21st Sunday when I moved him and dosed him with the Kanaplex originally but then went to furan 2 days ago and the bottom pic is what he looks like today. Looks like whatever that is, is slowly disappearing. Here’s a short video as well

FDDC8384-7873-420D-90D6-6B9CBE29EE41.jpeg

81B8875F-F837-420D-AC4F-FDB8F2152332.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I should revert back to the kanaplax originally it appears as something is working. Here’s an update side by by photos and video. Top was the 21st Sunday when I moved him and dosed him with the Kanaplex originally but then went to furan 2 days ago and the bottom pic is what he looks like today. Looks like whatever that is, is slowly disappearing. Here’s a short video as well

FDDC8384-7873-420D-90D6-6B9CBE29EE41.jpeg

81B8875F-F837-420D-AC4F-FDB8F2152332.jpeg

Turn the air up a bit (grin).
I’m confused, if the fish is improving with the furan, don’t you want to stick with that?
Jay

OP
OP
Salty B

Salty B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the air up a bit (grin).
I’m confused, if the fish is improving with the furan, don’t you want to stick with that?
Jay
Air turned up Not sure if it was the Kanaplex initially since I had given him 2 doses of that and he started to be more active. Then started for him only to the one dose of the furan 2. However they seem to treat the same things so I will give the 2nd dose of the furan. I’m glad something is working though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back