sick ocellaris clownfish

briw2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this ocellaris clown fish for about 2 years ..in the last week or so it looked as though it had a white piece of poo hanging from It ...now it looks lethargic and sets on the bottom horizontally with some labored breathing... She acts interested in food but doesn't eat.... I no longer see a string hanging from her but her pelvic fin is carried close to the body... I have her in a 10 gallon hospital tank and have dosed PraziPro om Monday 2.5 milliters ...Wensday 2 gallion water change and 2.5 milliliters again.... Does anyone have any other advice ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this ocellaris clown fish for about 2 years ..in the last week or so it looked as though it had a white piece of poo hanging from It ...now it looks lethargic and sets on the bottom horizontally with some labored breathing... She acts interested in food but doesn't eat.... I no longer see a string hanging from her but her pelvic fin is carried close to the body... I have her in a 10 gallon hospital tank and have dosed PraziPro om Monday 2.5 milliters ...Wensday 2 gallion water change and 2.5 milliliters again.... Does anyone have any other advice ?
How is everything else in the tank doing? Have you added any new animals to the tank? What you are describing is more commonly seen in new clowns....
Prazipro is pretty safe, but I wonder how this fish could have gotten parasites after this amount of time.
Jay

OP
OP
B

briw2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is everything else in the tank doing? Have you added any new animals to the tank? What you are describing is more commonly seen in new clowns....
Prazipro is pretty safe, but I wonder how this fish could have gotten parasites after this amount of time.
Jay
I have added corals which have been dipped....I have a purple tang . 2 pajama cardinals , 1 midas blenny and 46 other ocellaris clowns....all of those seem fine ....I have not seen any improvement yet

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
46 ocellaris? I tried a communal group of clowns, all from the same batch. After a few years, losses accelerated due to strife between the fish...

Jay

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same issue for with a male clown I had for almost a year.....actually made a thread about it here. Ended up curing him with API General Cure in a hospital tank....took about a week. He started eating again and has been doing great back in the DT since.

OP
OP
B

briw2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
46 ocellaris? I tried a communal group of clowns, all from the same batch. After a few years, losses accelerated due to strife between the fish...

Jay
My tank is 2x2x7 ....lots of room with lots of rock and lots of rta ...they even host in pulsating xenia ,though I am now starting to weed it out of the tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 2x2x7 ....lots of room with lots of rock and lots of rta ...they even host in pulsating xenia ,though I am now starting to weed it out of the tank
No, what I meant is that communal clownfish colonies tend to break down, my guess is this one is being ostracized/stressed. That in turn can bring on issues like Hexamita in the gut, General Cure can help with that.
Jay

OP
OP
B

briw2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same issue for with a male clown I had for almost a year.....actually made a thread about it here. Ended up curing him with API General Cure in a hospital tank....took about a week. He started eating again and has been doing great back in the DT since.
Thank you... API General Cure seems hard to find...but I did find some today and will start tonight ....thanks so much for the advice

Back