Sick of color charts

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I’d skip the Hanna Calcium but get the Hanna Phosphate ultra low and the Alkalinity ...for Nitrate Right now can’t avoid the color charts per se so I’d go with Red Sea, Salifert for Mg & Ca (Both are easy to read color changing test)
I’d AVOID any “dillutive test, esp. for Ca like in Hanna Ca and/or Seachems Ca

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kh is the hardest test for me

Which kit are you using?

It generally is not hard to tell the alk endpoint,, but you can use pH to get the endpoint accurately, and can do the whole test DIY that way.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert is a 3 minute, 2 step process for nitrate tests. I really couldn't undedrstand why anyone would do the 9 minute 3 part process w/ the red sea kit!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert is a 3 minute, 2 step process for nitrate tests. I really couldn't undedrstand why anyone would do the 9 minute 3 part process w/ the red sea kit!
I got both test (purchased at the same time on purpose) ... when you need low end resolution; Red Sea ...when I just need to check it: Salifert

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why oh Why doesn't Hanna produce a Nitrate Checker??

The stated reason is chloride interference. That is a potential issue that needs to be worked out since marine aquaria have very high (19,000 ppm) and variable chloride levels.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in the process of developing one. And that comes straight from their customer service representative.

They've been looking into it for years, but the chloride problem is nontrivial. This is from 3 years ago:

We are looking into Nitrate analysis in seawater but the problem is with many of the chemical methods available for nitrate testing. We analyze nitrate using an adaptation of the cadmium reduction method which interferes with Chloride particles at 100 ppm+. Seawater has over 19,000 ppm Chloride particles so mitigating that interference can be difficult to do with hobbyist/home use reagents.

Although test kits for nitrate in saltwater exist, it becomes difficult to do this digitally.

A nitrate Checker was worked on by our research and development department in the past but due to repeatability and accuracy concerns we were not confident to release it to market. Our checkers are colorimeters that use light to measure ion concentration, and consequently there are many interferences in saltwater to allow colorimetric analysis of nitrate. I hope we develop one in the future but we operate in over 10 major industries and our R & D department is quite busy with a wide range of projects. If we do develop one then you will receive notice from our blog and emails so keep checking back in the future if things change.

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrate Checker for saltwater is coming soon.

https://www.hannainst.com/marine-nitrate-checker-hi781.html

This is what I got when I clicked the link. :(
Screenshot_20200602-201651.png

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got set up with both a neptune and a trident. 7 probes... I am working my way towards an SPS dominant tank.... I am still a ways off from buying one... While I understand it is still a good idea to do separate testing to ensure the probes are working properly, but... my question. What do I need to test for that those 7 probes won’t cover?

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got set up with both a neptune and a trident. 7 probes... I am working my way towards an SPS dominant tank.... I am still a ways off from buying one... While I understand it is still a good idea to do separate testing to ensure the probes are working properly, but... my question. What do I need to test for that those 7 probes won’t cover?
Sorry, Meant to say... just nitrates and phosphates right?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back