Sick of wild caught fish so im getting Captive Bred and am changing how in stocking aquarium

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had wild caught fish in my Dt that was going well until i caught black ick, and velvet and i lost most of my fish.so i set up a qt and still am getting problems with black ick where fish are still dying. So im scrapping the whole wild caught fish idea and am only buying captive bred fish fron here on out. My tank up until last week was fishless for 2 and a half months. So now i got a Cb Tomini Tang and two Cb Blue streak Gobies. So tomorrow i will be going back to my lfs who only carries Cb fish and am stocking up big tine for my 125 Dt. Heres my new stocking list
1Tomini tang
4 Yellow Tangs
4 Purple Tangs
1 Hippo Tang
1 Blue Mandarin
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
3 Red Dartfish
2 Blue Streak Gobies
1 Black Storm Clownfish
I think that this list is amazing and am excited to get most of these fish at once tomorrow. Im going to use my qt for any tang that tries to cause to much problems if any because im going to try and introduce them all at once so i think it will be better on the fish because if there is an aggressor it will lose the fish that it is picking on in the school of tangs. They are all going to be little guys as well at 2 to 2 1/2 inches so i think that having them all together from thier youth all at once is going to give me the best shot at this. I also feed twice a day and i mix a ton of different foods together and add vitamins and garlic to all my food that i make for my fish and freeze it and am going to have 4 seaweed clips in the aquarium at all times i also have a good bit of algae in my Dt that is growing as well. Let me know what you guys think. I will have to keep posted on how well this goes with some pics when i get it all going.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...that's a LOT of tangs! Cross your fingers there's no ich in the tank already...that'd be a bummer...
Edit: just saw you went fishless

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also oversized on filtration for my aquarium because i was going to stock close to thirty fish originally in my system but i backed the amount im having down to 18 fish. So i got a Reef Octopus Regal150SSS in my sump and live rock in my sump. I also have about 130 pounds of live rock in my system total. My tank has been runny very well considering its only 8 months old and i have some coraline algae that started to grow in my aquarium around the 7 month mark so my water parameters are going superb in this aquarium and i am using ecotech equipment as well in my aquarium so it keeps all them cords out of my tank to save on space as well i have two mp 40's on it and a Vector S2 return pump. I have a grounding probe in my sump as well because that's the only spot in my aquarium that has cords in the water with my skimmer and return pump so now electrical stress on my fish as well if something start to put off stray voltage. I will be getting ecotech lighting. I will be getting 3 Gen 6 xr30 pro's around may when can let my funds come back up. Especially after stocking the tank with Cb the only downside that happens to Cb as everyone knows is that they Cost a lot more.

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also oversized on filtration for my aquarium because i was going to stock close to thirty fish originally in my system but i backed the amount im having down to 18 fish. So i got a Reef Octopus Regal150SSS in my sump and live rock in my sump. I also have about 130 pounds of live rock in my system total. My tank has been runny very well considering its only 8 months old and i have some coraline algae that started to grow in my aquarium around the 7 month mark so my water parameters are going superb in this aquarium and i am using ecotech equipment as well in my aquarium so it keeps all them cords out of my tank to save on space as well i have two mp 40's on it and a Vector S2 return pump. I will be getting ecotech lighting 3 Gen 6 xr30 pro's around may when can let my funds come back up after stocking the tank because of the only downside to Cb as everyone knows is that they Cost a lot more.
Is this gonna be fowlr or reef tank? I’d guess nitrates will be high..

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this gonna be fowlr or reef tank? I’d guess nitrates will be high..
This is going to be a reef tank and i actually have always had a problem with getting my nitrates up even when i almost had thirty fish in the aquarium even with tangs like a blonde naso and magnificent foxface before parasites and disease took over. My nitrates even with that load only stayed around 2ppm.

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't loose that kind of stock but all but 2 clowns and a chromi died from velvet on me. Gut-wrenching to watch it wipe them out sooo fast before I could even catch and move then to a QT. I've gone all ORA and Dr. Reef so far. Biota is next. Corals and fish from ORA were awesome. My Dr. Reef is in process now so we will see how that goes. I won't toss any more money down the drain on infected fish. The whole quarantine process adds so much stress to the process. It's just not worth it for me. I'll buy farm raised if the fish exists.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
isnt it true that in your plan, you are still introducing disease by assuming pet store fish are free of it without any verification preps

all those fish coming in must go through at min 30 day qt and thats min for such a diverse load. I wouldnt call the fallow here extra mile either. this is not said to inflame, it's said to reflect upon the stickies in the fish disease forum
I didnt want you to add all those unprepped fish to the display, thinking wild caught was the issue.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
isnt it true that in your plan, you are still introducing disease by assuming pet store fish are free of it without any verification preps

all those fish coming in must go through at min 30 day qt and thats min for such a diverse load. I wouldnt call the fallow here extra mile either. this is not said to inflame, it's said to reflect upon the stickies in the fish disease forum
I didnt want you to add all those unprepped fish to the display, thinking wild caught was the issue.
+1 just because fish are captive bred does not mean decease free, even if buying direct from breeder. buying from lfs is risky. you dont know what fish are coming and going through there system.
buy QT fish from a reputable dealer like tsm aquatics. there fish supposedly go through formalin, 30 day copper and 2 wks pazi in the same system.

Murftoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very skeptical that those are all captive bred fish and I'd question your lfs about where they are getting these from and who their wholesalers are. The world's first purple tang ever bred in captivity just became available in 2020 and they are still extremely rare and extremely expensive. I don't believe red dartfish, Tomini tangs, or Hippo tangs are available as captive bred unless I've missed something! Biota, ORA, and Bali are the major wholesalers and they certainly aren't offering them as commercially available. Coral Magazine keeps a global list of captive bred fish, but the latest list I could find was 2019: https://www.reef2rainforest.com/201...ptive-bred-marine-fish-species-list-for-2019/

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1Tomini tang
4 Yellow Tangs
4 Purple Tangs
1 Hippo Tang
1 Blue Mandarin
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
3 Red Dartfish
2 Blue Streak Gobies
1 Black Storm Clownfish
Be interesting to see haw many of these are still in the tank after they grow out. A 125 doesn't have a large footprint if its a normal 6ft 125 which is only 18" deep. Also tangs can be aggressive but I guess there will be enough of them to spread the aggression around :thinking-face: I have many of these fish and just can not see this many of them housed in a125 long term. and no I'm not a member of the tang police but I do consider myself a realist :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't loose that kind of stock but all but 2 clowns and a chromi died from velvet on me. Gut-wrenching to watch it wipe them out sooo fast before I could even catch and move then to a QT. I've gone all ORA and Dr. Reef so far. Biota is next. Corals and fish from ORA were awesome. My Dr. Reef is in process now so we will see how that goes. I won't toss any more money down the drain on infected fish. The whole quarantine process adds so much stress to the process. It's just not worth it for me. I'll buy farm raised if the fish exists.
That's my perspective on it as well and it was the black ick that caught up with my fish. I was lucky enough to get my caught out of the tank and was able to cure the velvet easily in the qt.

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be interesting to see haw many of these are still in the tank after they grow out. A 125 doesn't have a large footprint if its a normal 6ft 125 which is only 18" deep. Also tangs can be aggressive but I guess there will be enough of them to spread the aggression around :thinking-face: I have many of these fish and just can not see this many of them housed in a125 long term. and no I'm not a member of the tang police but I do consider myself a realist :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
It is a 6 ft 125. I have seen it work so well when you have like an Heirloom of aggressive fish because they loose the original fish that they wanted to pick on in the crowd of them and it disperses the aggression out evenly.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very skeptical that those are all captive bred fish and I'd question your lfs about where they are getting these from and who their wholesalers are. The world's first purple tang ever bred in captivity just became available in 2020 and they are still extremely rare and extremely expensive. I don't believe red dartfish, Tomini tangs, or Hippo tangs are available as captive bred unless I've missed something! Biota, ORA, and Bali are the major wholesalers and they certainly aren't offering them as commercially available. Coral Magazine keeps a global list of captive bred fish, but the latest list I could find was 2019: https://www.reef2rainforest.com/201...ptive-bred-marine-fish-species-list-for-2019/
there are captive bred options for all the fish listed (didn’t hear about Tominis though) and the prices dropped significantly from what they were at. Purples are the most expensive at 299 a piece from biota.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please reconsider your “tang gang” that’s too many tangs and too much aggression especially with the 4 purples.

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Hippo Tangs actually just became available from Biota so those are legit. The Tomini and Red Dartfish though I don't think have been captive bred so far so I don't think I'd trust those very much if you're going for strictly CB

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are captive bred options for all the fish listed (didn’t hear about Tominis though) and the prices dropped significantly from what they were at. Purples are the most expensive at 299 a piece from biota.
The Tomini was 90 because he was at the store for so long and no one wanted him idk why when he has such nice coloration and was healthy he was originally 120. I had my eye on that guy for months and i manged to get him so i was so happy to get him

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my tank raised fish from saltwateraquarium.com and they were shipped straight from ora. No middle man.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want to buy fish with a guarantee of no disease, buy them from somewhere that does a full pre-quarantine, DrReefs or such. NOT Liveaquaria.

Captive-bred fish can still have been exposed to disease, particularly if they've mingled with wild-caught fish anywhere along the line, so that's definitely no guarantee.

And, yeah, I'm pretty sure you can't keep 10 tangs in a 125.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back