sick or injured fish with pictures

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i can still see

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh heck no !!! Harlequin is my all time Favorite.
How long has this been going on as this does not happen overnight? Its a VERY bad case of bacteria to the point where dermis layers are starting to deteriorate.
Was this cauliflower like before this became what it is?
Thank goodness I have photo tools and my dauhter is home for weekend and captured it- I posted below for you blown up. I suspect this started from possible lymphocystis and is associated with both water quality and diet for which fish appears quite thin.
Has it been Eating? If so, what were you feeding it?
Water - What test kits are you using and what is your:
Ammonia
nitrate
PH
salinity
water temp
Frequency of water changes ?

1618090853379.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that is an ANGRY infection, I can't tell you exactly what it is, but additional info would be helpful. Here is a link to info that helps us to try and resolve this:

Jay

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a F/O and he is pretty thick actually, he is not aggressive an eater as my other fish, I suspect that maybe it was a wound from the Powder Blue Tang, last night he was acting strangely I saw his color around where the wound is and it was really small a different color, this morning not behaving well easy to catch, he is laying on his side right now, he might be dead but I am not going to stress him if he is still alive, he came back from the dead before.

Water temp 82 usually 77.
Water change 2 weeks ago, 30 gallons.
Nitrate 160 Nyos test kit, unfortunately always high
Battling and algae bloom, unable to grow cheato in a professional reactor gets chocked up with diterus.
Other fish very large PBT I have him for over 13 years, Clown Trigger, almost 3 years both big eaters, Blue Jaw trigger timid like the AHT. all in an 120 gallon tank I have a BNIB 225 gallon tank in the garage waiting for COVID to end so I can bring it in.
1.025 Salinty
I have been using socks and changing them out every 3 days now.

One of the big issues with this tank is the Blue Jaw Trigger constantly stirs up the sand trying to dig a deeper hole in the bottom o the tank, he gets the sand everywhere coating everything, all my rock is covered with it, yeah that fish won't die. It gets very defeating. Sugar sand, not a good idea. So the algae grow with this brown coating.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only see the thumbnail photo, when I try to enlarge it, the full pic doesn't load. Here is the issue - with a lesion that involves that much of a fish's skin, even if the cause of the infection is resolved, that amount of damaged skin makes it almost impossible for the fish to maintain a proper internal osmotic balance. The general thought is to move a fish like that into a treatment tank with lower salinity - more isotonic with its own blood - a specific gravity of 1.018, or a salinity of around 24 ppt.

As for the primary infection - I can't tell you exactly what it is, but most likely, it is bacterial. I would suggest treating with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic - Furna-2, Neoplex, or even Maracyn 2. However, the prognosis is not good...

Jay

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is still alive, doesn't like cold water poured on him, I will be more careful next time,

I would like to thank everyone who has stop and helped, I really appreciate it. I will keep everyone up to date. Hopefully, he is a fighter and will pull through this one as well.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a wound that got infected and now you have a pretty significant bacterial infection. I’d get him on some antibiotics ASAP before it gets worse. Also try to treat the wound with something like Acriflavine to help it heal. Good luck with him.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now he is in a 5-gallon bucket with an airstone and a heater, I have treated the water with Maracryn 2.

Can MelaFix be mixed with Maracryn 2?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melafix is basically just a botanical tonic, it isn’t a strong enough antibiotic to use in this case.
Maintaining the water quality in the bucket is going to be a challenge. You may end up needing to change more than 100% of the water each day to keep the ammonia level below 0.25 ppm (like 3 35% water changes daily)
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh no !! he was past beyond normal healing and again sorry to hear.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alas better days, I loved the spirit of the fish, he would stick his head out of the water and spit water out, I am not sure If I can post videos but I have a good one of him, this is an accidental art type photo. OH I mean I tried to get this shot. Pat my own back,

Back