Sick Orange Shoulder tang

mrbluepo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my orange shoulder tang appears sick. Attached is a photo. It is super weak and looks like it’s going to die. Any idea what maybe causing this? This comes a week after my powder brown died suddenly.
IMG_3825.PNG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi my orange shoulder tang appears sick. Attached is a photo. It is super weak and looks like it’s going to die. Any idea what maybe causing this? This comes a week after my powder brown died suddenly.
IMG_3825.PNG
Sorry to see as fish is moribund and likely not to make it. There can be a number of factors but often can be:
Immature/newer tank subject to ammonia spikes and chemistry changes
Improper acclimation/introduction
Gill flukes
Velvet disease
Low dissolved oxygen

Flukes and velvets - you will see loss of appetite and heavy breathing, swimming at surface, listless behavior and other unusual signs.
Would need a little history as to what you have noticed to be unusual.

OP
OP
M

mrbluepo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see as fish is moribund and likely not to make it. There can be a number of factors but often can be:
Immature/newer tank subject to ammonia spikes and chemistry changes
Improper acclimation/introduction
Gill flukes
Velvet disease
Low dissolved oxygen

Flukes and velvets - you will see loss of appetite and heavy breathing, swimming at surface, listless behavior and other unusual signs.
Would need a little history as to what you have noticed to be unusual.
Hi thanks for your reply. It has been in an established tank of 6 years with normal chemistry. The tang has been in this tank for 3 months so far without issue until a yesterday. I noticed yesterday that it was hiding more than usual and also itching itself against the sand. And today it stopped eating.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for your reply. It has been in an established tank of 6 years with normal chemistry. The tang has been in this tank for 3 months so far without issue until a yesterday. I noticed yesterday that it was hiding more than usual and also itching itself against the sand. And today it stopped eating.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Your powder brown dying and this fish being moribund could well be related. More history is needed to try to work through that though. This post explains all that:

Specifically, how long did you have the powder brown?
What other fish are in the tank now?

From the information at hand, I would say that the tank has skin or gill flukes. the timing and the scratching all add up. Flukes don't kill fish suddenly, but the symptoms they cause are pretty subtle and easily missed; rapid breathing, scratching and pale coloration.

Jay

OP
OP
M

mrbluepo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Your powder brown dying and this fish being moribund could well be related. More history is needed to try to work through that though. This post explains all that:

Specifically, how long did you have the powder brown?
What other fish are in the tank now?

From the information at hand, I would say that the tank has skin or gill flukes. the timing and the scratching all add up. Flukes don't kill fish suddenly, but the symptoms they cause are pretty subtle and easily missed; rapid breathing, scratching and pale coloration.

Jay
Ive had the powder brown only for a week before it started to exhibit symptoms and died the day after. Currently there are 2 common clowns, a yellow tail damsel, a Talbot damsel and a red lined angelfish. Would it be good to treat the entire tank with prazigold?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had the powder brown only for a week before it started to exhibit symptoms and died the day after. Currently there are 2 common clowns, a yellow tail damsel, a Talbot damsel and a red lined angelfish. Would it be good to treat the entire tank with prazigold?

Yes, that would be a good idea. I would dose according to the label directions, but add some extra aeration, and space the two treatments out at 8 days apart.

jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back