Sick PBT. Advice on treatment.

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swims normal. Eats normal. The ich goes away for a day then comes back. The other fish look fine its just the PBT. Yesterday I noticed dark spots on his fins and you can see his spine. Today the dark spots are gone but he does look thinner. Would be difficult to catch to treat without taking the tank apart. I don’t QT, I was hoping to manage. Should I let him be and hope he recovers?

1AF6144C-4827-4327-9FDC-CD61BC858D20.jpeg 5141C8C4-B3F7-483D-B2F6-A91A8B652894.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like ich to me. If it were velvet, the spots would be smaller or not even visible, the fish would be breathing hard and probably wouldn’t be eating. It does look a bit thin. I think it is past the point where it can fight off this infection, so a copper treatment of all of the fish is likely the best course of action. Another option would be low salinity for 35 days, @ a specific gravity of 1.009. No inverts for either treatment of course.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As mentioned, they do well in hyposalinity (low).
Fish is a little thin. Feed it LRS herbivore diet or fish frenzy as well as mysis shrimp and spirulina brine shrimp with selcon vitamins and garlic extract added to foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup the QT but he didn't make it. Officially not a fan of management. Team QT moving forward.
The other fish are still clear of spots? You’ll want to watch them closely….
Jay

OP
OP
mlivvy

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I have a QT question. I setup a 20g QT tank. Can I run the 30 days of copper in a separate tank then after the 30 days move the fish to the 20g for the remainder of the fallow period?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I have a QT question. I setup a 20g QT tank. Can I run the 30 days of copper in a separate tank then after the 30 days move the fish to the 20g for the remainder of the fallow period?
I think that would work. Why not just do a couple of water changes to lower the copper, and leave the fish in the treatment tank though?
Jay

OP
OP
mlivvy

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would work. Why not just do a couple of water changes to lower the copper, and leave the fish in the treatment tank though?
Jay
I was looking to avoid using copper in that tank. I guess it does make things easier.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to avoid using copper in that tank. I guess it does make things easier.
Or I'm not understanding what it is you are planning to do (grin). As long as the second tank has a stable biofilter, moving the fish there post-treatment would work.

Jay

OP
OP
mlivvy

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry what I was thinking was setting a “medication tank” then transferring the medicated fish to another QT tank to wait out the fallow period. The idea was to continue using the med tank to buy more fish.

OP
OP
mlivvy

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal thanks for answering all of my questions. I watched a video on youtube and used water from my DT to build the QT. I read your 45-day thread this am and saw you mentioned to someone not to use water from the DT (contamination). Did I mess up? Since the QT will be medicated will it still cause a problem? Just want to confirm before I drain the QT and restart.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal thanks for answering all of my questions. I watched a video on youtube and used water from my DT to build the QT. I read your 45-day thread this am and saw you mentioned to someone not to use water from the DT (contamination). Did I mess up? Since the QT will be medicated will it still cause a problem? Just want to confirm before I drain the QT and restart.
If you moved fish from the DT they already contaminated the QT. What disease is the issue here?
Jay

OP
OP
mlivvy

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you moved fish from the DT they already contaminated the QT. What disease is the issue here?
Jay
Only 1 fish survived the tank. I havn't moved him yet. Only the PBT showed signs of ich the others looked more like velvet. I have a DT with corals/inverts and 1 fish and a QT upstairs with water from the DT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you move the one remaining fish, and start a treatment right away (copper?) then using tank water doesn't increase the risk to that fish, and may help a tiny bit with the biological stability of the QT (although moving media over would be better, as most beneficial bacteria is found on substrates).

Jay

Back