Sick platinum clown

Juicycoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I purchased a new pair of palatinum clowns. I got them and it seems like one side of one of the clowns face where his gills are seems to be swollen of extended farther off of his face. I did some research and it could possible be a parasite. I treated the water with a antibacterial water additive. I did the treatment for 7 days and then i did a 25% water change. the fish seems to be breathing better but he still kind of breathes heavier when he's not really doing anything. do you all think that he will recover from this? His appetite is great. Activity is great. He swims like nothing is bothering him.

CALI DIPPIN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like flared gill its normal with breeding clowns some are born with the defect it can live for awhile or it can live with a short lifespan all depends on how bad the gill is

OP
OP
Juicycoral

Juicycoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. The gill doesn't seem to bother him. I hope he can make it to breeding size.

CALI DIPPIN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is flared gill i suggest you take him back at get a new one how much did you pay for the pair? If you dont mind me asking & if you post pics i can tell you if its flared gill or not flared gills mean big price drop normally a breeder should sell them $50 at the most..

OP
OP
Juicycoral

Juicycoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it's a flared gill. i would post a pic but im at work tight now. I got the pair for 100

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the clown!!!

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flared gills is not necessary detrimental, but breeder should have cull this from his batch.

OP
OP
Juicycoral

Juicycoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to give everyone an update. My clown is doing great. Still has the flared gill. But otherwise doing great. Eating good, doesn't seem to bother him at all.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back