Sick Puffer?

Reefer Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dogface puffer in the tank for almost two years. Lately he puts his left fin in his gill several times a day and also flashes on the side once in a while. He still eats, but is not his normal piggish self. No new tankmates in the last six months, no ich as i also have an ich magnet (AKA Powder Blue Tang) in the tank with him. all tank mates seem normal and happy. I am stumped. Anyone have any ideas what may be going on? Thanks!

OP
OP
R

Reefer Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here’s a couple

Attachments

• 6CEB4BD7-91B1-4BDC-AD6C-C32821F22D0A.jpeg
    6CEB4BD7-91B1-4BDC-AD6C-C32821F22D0A.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 220E8BCD-3E36-46F0-AF09-6CC3C8C9A5A6.jpeg
    220E8BCD-3E36-46F0-AF09-6CC3C8C9A5A6.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
R

Reefer Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need pictures taken in white light and water parameters. Could be gill flukes but let's wait for expert opinion. Be prepared for hospital tank. What Meds do you have?

#fishmedic
I have general cure, Paraguard,prazipro,metroplex, furan, copper power, and formalin.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a freshwater dip and see if any flukes fall off. Jay Hemdal recommends Prazipro for flukes. For any parasite, I have had success with Hydroplex doing a 10 minute saltwater dip but then regular medicine still needs to be done.

OP
OP
R

Reefer Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a freshwater dip and see if any flukes fall off. Jay Hemdal recommends Prazipro for flukes. For any parasite, I have had success with Hydroplex doing a 10 minute saltwater dip but then regular medicine still needs to be done.
Okay thanks. I'll give it a try. Hydroplex available at BRS?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be flukes, but the length of time you've had the fish makes that less likely.
How long has it been bevahing this way?
Is the issue stable or getting worse over time?

If you do any sort of a dip (FW, Hydroplex, etc) the fish will be reinfected when you return it to the tank. Only one species of flukes (Neobenedenia) is large enough to be seen in the dip bucket afterwards, the other species all require a microscope).

For flukes, the typical treatment is Prazipro, with good aeration, dosed twice, 8 or 9 days apart. This doesn't always break the life cycle, but if it give relief, then that confirms flukes, you might then need to follow up with a hyposalinity treatment if the symptoms returns. Some flukes are egg layers and prazi doesn't kill the eggs, you need to try and time it just right, killing the baby flukes after they hatch, but before they can lay eggs themselves....

Jay

jhrightyhein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a similar thing with my porcupine. Ran prazipro and got better within a few days!

OP
OP
R

Reefer Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be flukes, but the length of time you've had the fish makes that less likely.
How long has it been bevahing this way?
Is the issue stable or getting worse over time?

If you do any sort of a dip (FW, Hydroplex, etc) the fish will be reinfected when you return it to the tank. Only one species of flukes (Neobenedenia) is large enough to be seen in the dip bucket afterwards, the other species all require a microscope).

For flukes, the typical treatment is Prazipro, with good aeration, dosed twice, 8 or 9 days apart. This doesn't always break the life cycle, but if it give relief, then that confirms flukes, you might then need to follow up with a hyposalinity treatment if the symptoms returns. Some flukes are egg layers and prazi doesn't kill the eggs, you need to try and time it just right, killing the baby flukes after they hatch, but before they can lay eggs themselves....

Jay
I will try treating with prazi when I get home. It’s been stable not getting worse. Been doing it for about two weeks. Since it’s a Fowler tank I keep salinity at around 20ppt, but I’ll drop the qt tank to around 11 ppt when I get him in there. Thank you for the help.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back