Sick Royal Gramma

ArnelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Royal gramma died yesterday, it started with a little mark on one side of its body looked like a cut. Then had a swollen and cloudy eye. Right before it passed away it had mucus covering its face and gills causing it to die. Is this brooklynella? If so should I quarantine the 2 clowns I have in my tank (and medicate with metroplex) and have a 6 week fallow period. The clowns have been perfectly fine since the beginning and have always eaten well and and stayed active. I’m buying a 10 gallon starter kit to quarantine fish before adding in the future. Any advice I need help and don’t wanna lose the 2 clowns that have been with me for about a month and a half.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My Royal gramma died yesterday, it started with a little mark on one side of its body looked like a cut. Then had a swollen and cloudy eye. Right before it passed away it had mucus covering its face and gills causing it to die. Is this brooklynella? If so should I quarantine the 2 clowns I have in my tank (and medicate with metroplex) and have a 6 week fallow period. The clowns have been perfectly fine since the beginning and have always eaten well and and stayed active. I’m buying a 10 gallon starter kit to quarantine fish before adding in the future. Any advice I need help and don’t wanna lose the 2 clowns that have been with me for about a month and a half.
Pictures will be very helpful with assessment and may be associated with flukes which they often get. Some more info will be helpful such as:
Any scratching or darting?
Loss of appetite?
Heavy breathing?
Any aggression from clowns?
Current ammonia level?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
A

ArnelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures will be very helpful with assessment and may be associated with flukes which they often get. Some more info will be helpful such as:
Loss of appetite?
Heavy breathing?
Current ammonia level?
It would scratch itself on sand sometimes and hide in the cave a lot. It was fine for a while and then rapidly got bad after its eye got cloudy it lost appetite instantly and started breathing heavy all from one day to another. I did notice that it was quite aggressive towards the clownfish since the beginning but I think it was just stressing from transport. No darting it never really moved very fast or across the fish tank it would only swim fast to get food. Ammonia was at 0 I would test almost everyday. Once it got bad it never left the cave and would just stay inside.

OP
OP
A

ArnelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loss of appetite?
Heavy breathing?
Current ammonia level?
Also the Royal gramma went from seeming healthy to having a cloudy and inflamed eye, lost appetite, heavy breathing, laying down and barely moving. From the first symptom to death was like a 3 day period or less it was really rapid and surprising because it seemed healthy. Let me know if there is anything else I should mention and what is the best course of actions in order to eliminate the sickness so my clownfish and future fish are less likely to get sick.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It's very difficult to determine cause of death in fish, especially without pictures. Your description of the "cut on its side" sounds like Uronema - they call it red band disease. The other symptoms are different though. I doubt Brooklynella since the clowns would have been affected. Flukes are possible, but they usually do not kill a fish that fast.

jay

OP
OP
A

ArnelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It's very difficult to determine cause of death in fish, especially without pictures. Your description of the "cut on its side" sounds like Uronema - they call it red band disease. The other symptoms are different though. I doubt Brooklynella since the clowns would have been affected. Flukes are possible, but they usually do not kill a fish that fast.

jay
I wish I would have taken photos everything happened so fast that I didn’t even think about taking pics. Yeah it has like a little cut on the right side of it’s back and it never got worst or better just stayed the same and then his right out became inflamed and cloudy but it was only 1 eye. Now that I look at it it did kinda look like uronema. I thought it was a little cut on its side but I think it might have just been uronema bc it looks kinda similar to what I found online except mine was a bit smaller. If it’s iron ema do I have to quarantine the fish in my tank right now or is it normal for a tank to have it. Bc I’m buying a quarantine set up for future fish. Not sure what the protocol is against uronema and if I need to do something before adding more fish in the future.

OP
OP
A

ArnelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

jay
Also towards the end the Royal gramma seemed to have a bit of discoloration on the top of its head and would try and stratch itself on sand and then started to lay on the sand and eventually died

OP
OP
A

ArnelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

jay
If it’s Uronema then what should I do now with the 2 clownfish and the fish tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s Uronema then what should I do now with the 2 clownfish and the fish tank?
I can’t say if it was Uronema or not, but that is often found in aquariums and I’ve never seen it attack clownfish.
Royal grammas also often get flukes, and that scratching behavior could be that. You could treat the tank with prazipro as a preventative and then let everything chill for 30 days to ensure something didn’t spread to the clownfish.
Jay

OP
OP
A

ArnelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say if it was Uronema or not, but that is often found in aquariums and I’ve never seen it attack clownfish.
Royal grammas also often get flukes, and that scratching behavior could be that. You could treat the tank with prazipro as a preventative and then let everything chill for 30 days to ensure something didn’t spread to the clownfish.
Jay
Can I add prazipro to a DT or should I do it in a QT. How should I do it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add prazipro to a DT or should I do it in a QT. How should I do it.

Prazipro can be added to the DT, just add good aeration and remove any carbon filtration. Best to turn off any UV as well. Dose it twice, 8 days apart. Water changes may be needed if you have corals because it adds extra nutrients to the water.

Jay

OP
OP
A

ArnelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro can be added to the DT, just add good aeration and remove any carbon filtration. Best to turn off any UV as well. Dose it twice, 8 days apart. Water changes may be needed if you have corals because it adds extra nutrients to the water.

Jay
1 of the two clownfish now has 2 light gray dots on the top of its head. It looks a lot like flukes. I’m assuming the problem was flukes. I ordered prazipro it gets here Friday. Ima do what you said and dose it into DT. Will that get rid of the flukes for sure and prazipro isnt harmful for the bacteria and invertebrates right?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 of the two clownfish now has 2 light gray dots on the top of its head. It looks a lot like flukes. I’m assuming the problem was flukes. I ordered prazipro it gets here Friday. Ima do what you said and dose it into DT. Will that get rid of the flukes for sure and prazipro isnt harmful for the bacteria and invertebrates right?

Prazipro, when used properly, will not harm your bacteria (it actually feeds it nutrients) nor will it harm invertebrates. Some people have reported that Tridacna clams will close up and some feather duster worms may react poorly to it, but in almost every case, it is harmless. You do need to aerate the tank well. Some people report that wrasses react poorly, but that seems to be from lack of aeration.

Jay

OP
OP
A

ArnelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro, when used properly, will not harm your bacteria (it actually feeds it nutrients) nor will it harm invertebrates. Some people have reported that Tridacna clams will close up and some feather duster worms may react poorly to it, but in almost every case, it is harmless. You do need to aerate the tank well. Some people report that wrasses react poorly, but that seems to be from lack of aeration.

Jay
Perfect thanks they are eating well and I have an air stone just waiting for the product to arrive to then begin the treatment thanks for all your help I really appreciate it. I’ll try and keep you updated.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect thanks they are eating well and I have an air stone just waiting for the product to arrive to then begin the treatment thanks for all your help I really appreciate it. I’ll try and keep you updated.
How did it go?

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I see something on one of my tangs, I think it might be flukes. I will share a pic with you. I’m also thinking of following what you said. I dosed my DT with copper before but wasn’t sure if dosing Prazipro was good. It seems like a good preventative measure for all my fish if I can dose in DT. Is it bad for any fish? I don’t have any corals or inverts, I also read it goes away after a few days. So dose once, wait 8 days, do a WC maybe 20%?, and then redose again and another WC after 8 days? I have tangs, trigger, fox face, rabbit fish, clown. It’s good for all of them?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back