sick tang!!

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a adult blue hippo about 3 weeks ago, and hes slowly turning white on the lower half of him. His fin (left I think) almost looks puffy and he wont use it very much. So he mainly swims with his right fin with the left clutched to the side. Also his tail isnt looking good either, It looks like it is infected.
What could this be?
Water perimeters:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrates 5-10ppm
Calcium 450ppm
Mag 1290ppm
Alk 14dkh
Ph: 8.4

I attached some pics so you can have a better idea.

1093ECD6-D205-43C9-AEB7-39DABBA24DE6.jpeg C5176518-0659-478F-A64A-1BA73205A66A.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where tangs are concerned the best antibiotic is NFG powder. It works quickly and covers a very wide spectrum. Furan2 is similar and a good second choice. But you're right the tail does look infected. Can't see much in the other picture as it's a bit fuzzy on this end. Is the fish eating? Have you seen it poop? How's its breathing?

OP
OP
nano_ryan

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She gets fead once at 11am, 2pm,and 4pm and occasional frozen foods. Also I give nori 2-3 times a week, and eats the food really good. I havent seen the tang poop since the tank isn't my house. The breathing looks normal. Should I buy NFG powder to cure this? And also, what is causing her belly to turn pail?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loss of color can be attributed to a variety of illnesses/parasites in fish. Sometimes it is due to lack of oxygen getting to the cells from parasites overwhelming the gills. Sometimes it can come from internal bacterial infections or internal parasites disrupting the internal organs normal functioning. So your fish is breathing OK. So that leaves an internal issue of either bacterial or parasite in nature. Can treat both possibilities and the external infection on the tail with the "Trifecta" of Furan2 (treats the external infections really well)+ Kanaplex (good wide spectrum antibiotic)+ Metro (which treats internal really well).

OP
OP
nano_ryan

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loss of color can be attributed to a variety of illnesses/parasites in fish. Sometimes it is due to lack of oxygen getting to the cells from parasites overwhelming the gills. Sometimes it can come from internal bacterial infections or internal parasites disrupting the internal organs normal functioning. So your fish is breathing OK. So that leaves an internal issue of either bacterial or parasite in nature. Can treat both possibilities and the external infection on the tail with the "Trifecta" of Furan2 (treats the external infections really well)+ Kanaplex (good wide spectrum antibiotic)+ Metro (which treats internal really well).
Ok I can buy Furan 2 and Metro. Im just going to dose the entire tank(150g). I looked up pictures of adult blue hippos and a few seemed pretty pail on there belly so It might be normal.
Is there anything else I should do?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back