Sick tank/ new to saltwater

alexburkett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m newer to saltwater tanks. I started cycling my tank in January snd testing the water weekly and measuring salinity for nearly 3 months! I wanted everything to be perfect. About 2 weeks ago I got 2 small clownfish from petco along with a orchid dottyback and 2 emerald crabs. I noticed my fish were opening and closing their mouth‘s every second, and from this form I soon realized they had Brooklynella. I can’t get rid of it and idk what to do anymore. I’m one clownfish and dottyback down. They died. I hate to say it but I know my other fish will die. I’ve medicated them, I’ve done freshwater bath, medicine bath. Everything they I know to do. So if you have any advice it’d be appreciated.
But I do except the fish to die
But my question is, the crabs seem unphased. Can they get this disease? I assumed once everything dies I’ll have to clean out my tank and let it cycle for about 2 months before getting back into it. I know now not to buy from chain pet store as their fish are probably sick

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m newer to saltwater tanks. I started cycling my tank in January snd testing the water weekly and measuring salinity for nearly 3 months! I wanted everything to be perfect. About 2 weeks ago I got 2 small clownfish from petco along with a orchid dottyback and 2 emerald crabs. I noticed my fish were opening and closing their mouth‘s every second, and from this form I soon realized they had Brooklynella. I can’t get rid of it and idk what to do anymore. I’m one clownfish and dottyback down. They died. I hate to say it but I know my other fish will die. I’ve medicated them, I’ve done freshwater bath, medicine bath. Everything they I know to do. So if you have any advice it’d be appreciated.
But my question is, the crabs seem unphased. Can they get this disease? I assumed once everything dies I’ll have to clean out my tank and let it cycle for about 2 months before getting back into it. I know now not to buy from chain pet store as their fish are probably sick
Invertebrates are unharmed by fish diseases, I use that as a diagnostic tool; "All my fish died but my corals are fine" tells me it was a fish disease issue.

Brooklynella creates a white mucus on their skin. If you are seeing rapid breathing without that, it is likely velvet. What medicines have you use? It's sad, but there are "medications" sold out there that simply do not work.

What I would do is buy a few more invertebrates that are compatible with what you have (just to give you something to look at) and then let your tank for fishless for at least 45 days (65 would be better). Definitely find a good full line pet store to buy from. As you might know, having a small quarantine tank for new fish is a huge help.

Jay

OP
OP
A

alexburkett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invertebrates are unharmed by fish diseases, I use that as a diagnostic tool; "All my fish died but my corals are fine" tells me it was a fish disease issue.

Brooklynella creates a white mucus on their skin. If you are seeing rapid breathing without that, it is likely velvet. What medicines have you use? It's sad, but there are "medications" sold out there that simply do not work.

What I would do is buy a few more invertebrates that are compatible with what you have (just to give you something to look at) and then let your tank for fishless for at least 45 days (65 would be better). Definitely find a good full line pet store to buy from. As you might know, having a small quarantine tank for new fish is a huge help.

Jay
I don’t have corals and my fish are turning white slowly and have rapid breathing

I’ve used prazipro

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but IMO your mistake is adding 3 fish to a new tank. The proper way is to add one then wait a couple of weeks for the biofilter to adjust then add another one. You overloaded the biofilter which stressed your fish and dipping them in freshwater didn’t help. The third fish will live, I’ll bet you a beer. It’s always that way, if you add 3 one, possibly 2 will die. Beneficial bacteria takes a long time to multiply

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have corals and my fish are turning white slowly and have rapid breathing

I’ve used prazipro
Prazipro doesn’t work on brooklynella or velvet. Can you post a picture or short video?
Jay

OP
OP
A

alexburkett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but IMO your mistake is adding 3 fish to a new tank. The proper way is to add one then wait a couple of weeks for the biofilter to adjust then add another one. You overloaded the biofilter which stressed your fish and dipping them in freshwater didn’t help. The third fish will live, I’ll bet you a beer. It’s always that way, if you add 3 one, possibly 2 will die. Beneficial bacteria takes a long time to multiply
Oh I didn’t know that :/
I bought them from the same tank and they’re poop is white which is why I assume it’s a parasite

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about this with your first system...

QT tanks are truly the best option to help yourself not bring any unwanted diseases or parasites into your main display..

OP
OP
A

alexburkett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro doesn’t work on brooklynella or velvet. Can you post a picture or short video?
Jay
This was yesterday before the dark one passed
Idk if you can tell but his body is loosing color

Attachments

• IMG_4880.MOV
    29.1 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was yesterday before the dark one passed
Idk if you can tell but his body is loosing color
I don't see brooklynella in the fish in the video - more like either velvet or water quality issues. What is your current ammonia level? What medications have you used so far?

Jay

OP
OP
A

alexburkett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see brooklynella in the fish in the video - more like either velvet or water quality issues. What is your current ammonia level? What medications have you used so far?

Jay
This sounds hopeful!
I’ve used ich-x, prazipro,and cupramine

none of which treat velvet

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine treats velvet, just not brooklynella very well.
Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back