Sick Temminck's Fairy Wrasse--Broolklynella?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this fish shipped to me (along with a Hippo tang, Bullet goby and PJ cardinal) 3 days ago. I kept them in the dark for the rest of the day after acclimation. The next day they all looked great and ate like pigs (flakes, pellets, & frozen food concoction). Yesterday they also looked good, at which time I added prazi to the Q-tank and started feeding metronidazole (in frozen food concoction). They all ate it and looked fine. Today, the wrasse is showing the following symptoms:
-swimming into current breathing rapidly (needs O2).
-no "scratching"
-has what looks like sloughing white skin, especially around the face and near pectoral fins.
-evidence of mild fin rot (bacterial) ventral fins.
-small red spot near R pectoral fin (possibly bacterial).
-general dull coloration

The other fish are fine. I'm mostly concerned about Brooklynella (or a related parasite). I don't think it is Ich (doesn't look like "spots" and Hippo is fine) and doesn't really look like Oodinium.
This is what I've done so far:
-freshwater dip (3 min). No trematodes dropped off. (Unfortunately, I don't have access to my microscope because of Covid).
-then, 1-hour bathe in Amikacin (50mg/gal).
-then, 30 min bathe in Ich-X (a "proprietary formula of formaldehyde <3%")….first time using this product....I usually use formalin that I dilute so I know the exact concentration.; Coppersafe was added to this bathe also; 4cc in half gallon.
-Injected Baytril I.P. (into the body cavity)
-Returned to Q-tank with 1/3 calculated dose of Coppersafe (in order to raise it slowly over 3 days, which might be important for wrasses.)

I know this was a lot to do at one time but this fish was looking bad and after years of treating fish (as a veterinarian) I just decided that this aggressive gamble was the best decision. Honestly, I don't expect this fish to make it (even if I wasn't aggressive).

Just thought I would throw this out to see if it stimulates a discussion. Thank you for any comments.

Temminck's Fairy Wrasse. Male. SICK -1 6.14.20.jpg

Temminck's Fairy Wrasse. Male. SICK 6.14.20.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree those white filmy areas look bacterial + fin rot. The big question is what brought it on? Could be "early stage" Brook.

@evolved
any ideas specific to wrasses?

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked the pet shop if they have had Brooklynella recently. The owner just wrote back and said "definitely not".....but he also said, "it looks like a fungus" which I'm sure it's not!

BTW...sorry for the spelling misprint in the title! :rolleyes: Is there any way I can correct that?
….and I'm a big Brooklyn Nets fan so I should certainly know how to spell it correctly! :)

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back