Sick Yellow Tang

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I have noticed my yellow tang lose weight and become very aggressive. She is pestering the other fish ans swimming around aggressively. She continues to eat well, but even with increase feedings she has failed to put more weight back on. Her dorsal fin has also shown some signs of darkening/damage in a portion. Any ideas what is going on with her. She has been in the tank for almost 2 years with no issues. I normally don't worry too much about my fish because I am of the notion that if the coral are happy then so are the fish as long as I keep them well fed.
I really want to find out how to help my poor fish.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are you feeding and how often? Also, any new tank mates?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The downside to tang is they seem to be sucesptible to parasites. I'll be watching your thread as I just got my first yellow tang

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding and how often? Also, any new tank mates?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Spectrum pellets and nori. Pellets daily and nori once a week. A coral beauty was added from a friend's tank a month or two ago but its been a novel citizen and was in the previous owners tank for a long time

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a yellow for a couple years. I feed a very mixed diet about 4-5 foods mixed up with some liquid garlic. They love krill & emerald entree (seaweed mix) mixed with other meaty foods all at the same time they eat everything. I don't feed any algae strips as they tear them off and then end up finding them in my filter socks. They also eat cylopeeze and cyclops when I feed my anthias. Just make sure you kept them fed, if I were you I would just feed more see if that calms the behavior. If theres damage on the dorsil fin such as chunks missing, thats probaby a giveaway somethings attacking it.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back