CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
I'm one week from being velvet free in DT. I had first follow fail on me and now one week from putting fish back in DT. My QT is a 55 gallon tank filled with 30 gallons of water and a bio-ball filter on top. It's was running for six months before I put copper in. Now it's been 72 days plus 5 weeks with copper and two rounds of GC and two rounds of E.M I've been doing lots of water changes but I'm sure the tank is getting toxic. The GC and E.M were done six weeks ago. I'm wondering if I can or should move all the fish to a new 10 gallon QT and do the GC and or E.M again? Fox face, purple tang, yellow tang and a blenny. The yellow tang is the only one that looks bad.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confirm how long you’ve had copper at a therapeutic level. During water changes, did you add Cu to the clean new salt water prior to adding it to the QT?
A 10 G sounds way too small for those fish.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The redish marking and the tattered fins can be symptoms of a bacterial infection. EM works largely on gram positive infections. Recommend you consider treating the tang with NFG. It works wonders on these red sore areas and treats a large spectrum of gram negative bacterial infections. Furan2 + Metro + Kanaplex will also work but highly recommend the NFG.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confirm how long you’ve had copper at a therapeutic level. During water changes, did you add Cu to the clean new salt water prior to adding it to the QT?
A 10 G sounds way too small for those fish.
Five weeks at full copper and yes I added copper to the new water before I put it in. The first 72 days was too low of copper hence the fail.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The redish marking and the tattered fins can be symptoms of a bacterial infection. EM works largely on gram positive infections. Recommend you consider treating the tang with NFG. It works wonders on these red sore areas and treats a large spectrum of gram negative bacterial infections. Furan2 + Metro + Kanaplex will also work but highly recommend the NFG.
From the look of the yellow tang I don't have much time he is getting worse by the hour. I only have a ten gallon tank not being used right now. I do have ten gallons of Pacific Ocean water in a box from Petco. Will the four fish be ok till I can bleach and dry the 55 QT? Or just put the yellow tang in the new QT?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the look of the yellow tang I don't have much time he is getting worse by the hour. I only have a ten gallon tank not being used right now. I do have ten gallons of Pacific Ocean water in a box from Petco. Will the four fish be ok till I can bleach and dry the 55 QT? Or just put the yellow tang in the new QT?

If you are going to bleach and sterilize the 55 immediately and that’s all you have then I would do it.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus on the tang. You are right. Those red-ish markings are of urgent attention. What meds do you have on hand? Furan2, Kanaplex, Triplesulfa?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those red sores/areas Furan2 and even better NFG powder is the key. Time is not your friend here.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the ten gallon is cleaned and running just need to get it up to temp. Should I use E.M tonight or get something tomorrow?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water dip before I drop him in new QT?

If he’s in that bad of shape I’m not sure I’d put him through a FW dip since your concern is an infection and a FW dip won’t help that. Dosing GC will cover flukes anyways.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the ten gallon is cleaned and running just need to get it up to temp. Should I use E.M tonight or get something tomorrow?
By all means, dose the EM. Be mindful that EM can be hard on the bio conditions. Can add some bacteria in a bottle like, BioSpira, etc. to offset the EM's effects. Keep an eye on the ammonia level.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back