Sick yellow tang

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Five weeks at full copper and yes I added copper to the new water before I put it in. The first 72 days was too low of copper hence the fail.

A bit OBE, but I’d be curious to know what type of Cu you are using (e.g., chelated is easier on the fish) and what test kit was used to determine the concentration. I suspect your YT is suffering from Cu toxicity.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit OBE, but I’d be curious to know what type of Cu you are using (e.g., chelated is easier on the fish) and what test kit was used to determine the concentration. I suspect your YT is suffering from Cu toxicity.
I'm using Cuprion ionic copper one drop per gallon witch should give me a concentration of 0.20 with Hanna checker. That was my problem with first follow I only added as much copper to get a 0.20 reading. Now I mix new saltwater and add 5 drops to a five gallon bucket and get a 0.37 reading on Hanna checker.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Cuprion ionic copper one drop per gallon witch should give me a concentration of 0.20 with Hanna checker. That was my problem with first follow I only added as much copper to get a 0.20 reading. Now I mix new saltwater and add 5 drops to a five gallon bucket and get a 0.37 reading on Hanna checker.
I'm on week five with that much copper so yesterday I did two different water changes and added carbon filter hope I'm velvet free!!!!!!

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
It could of been copper stress. Yellow tang looks way better today. All the red marks are gone and fins are not tattered looking. I'm sure the fins will grow back in time. I'm wondering if I should keep using E.M as directed or just let him heal on his own? I used one packet so far the directions say one more now water change tomorrow and repeat.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
It could of been copper stress. Yellow tang looks way better today. All the red marks are gone and fins are not tattered looking. I'm sure the fins will grow back in time. I'm wondering if I should keep using E.M as directed or just let him heal on his own? I used one packet so far the directions say one more now water change tomorrow and repeat.

You might as well finish the treatment

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always good to continue dosing antibiotics until the treatment dosage and doses are complete. You don't want disease to rebound, and then the antibiotics might not help as much as the disease can become somewhat immune to the antibiotics, just like in humans. ;)

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok last night was 6 weeks fishless because of velvet. Fox face, purple tang, blenny, yellow tang have been in QT with copper for 5 weeks added carbon and water changes for a week. Yellow tang has been in separate QT with Furan-2 and has one more dose to go. Purple tang has now been hiding a lot past two days sill eating. Blenny and fox face look happy.
Question is should I put the fox face and blenny in today and yellow tang in after treatment then start treatment or observation on purple tang or just get him out of what could be copper toxic tank right into DT today also?

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your DT has been fallow for 6 weeks due to velvet—consider going for 76 days to ensure ick has been wiped out too.
I believe the recommendation for ABX is to treat for at least 10 days despite the package directions and regardless if the fish are looking better.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is day ten for yellow tang. The other fish have been through one fail fallow and now six more weeks I'm sure it's velvet not Ich

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I run all the fish through Furan one at a time? Six weeks ago they all went through GC no flashing or swimming funny

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Well I'm about to flush this purple tang and start over. Last weekend I decided to move all four fish from the 55 gallon QT with copper to a ten gallon tank with GC. All fish are eating good looking happy. Today I see spots on purple tang again!! What should my game plan be for all four fish in this ten gallon tank? I do have more ten gallon tanks empty and ready to go. DT has been fishless for 7 weeks now. Do I need to start copper over again on all fish or just purple tang and watch the others?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the spots "salt like" or "cottony/cauliflower like and raised up a bit", it kinda hard to tell from the photo?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When fish have been in copper and meds for an extended period of time, their immune systems become suppressed. It is often common, especially for tangs to develop Lymphocystis. And the "condition" shows up and is visible on dark colored fish quite readily. Here's a link that may help:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lymphocystis.257461/#post-3043397

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast will Ich or velvet take over in a ten gallon tank without copper? Maybe I'm just paranoid and have been stressing my fish for no reason.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 1.20.05 PM.png

Above is the "typical" life cycle of Marine Ich. Note how long it takes 21-28 days. Marine Velvet cycle is similar but can complete the life cycle in 3-6 days. Thus the danger as the parasites can multiply so much faster and simply overwhelm the fish quickly by shear numbers.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to be safe leave the purple tang in that tank and transfer the other three to new QT and watch for one more week? I need to do something four fish in one ten gallon tank is too much. Or just give them freshwater dip and right into DT maybe leave the purple tang in QT?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to be safe leave the purple tang in that tank and transfer the other three to new QT and watch for one more week? I need to do something four fish in one ten gallon tank is too much. Or just give them freshwater dip and right into DT maybe leave the purple tang in QT?

I wouldn’t transfer anyone into the DT I would separate the purple and watch all of them for 10 days

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back