Sickness outbreak.

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok to start off with i have never ran a qt and i knew sooner or later it would bite me... and it has..

So for the last few months we have been loosing our fish. I am thinking i added a sick fish and it is what is killing everyone. Started with my tangs. And now im seeing some almost white shaded spots on my leopard wrasse side fins. (Most to fast to get a pic) every fish i have seen it on died a week or so later.

So my plan. In our 210g we have 2 leopards. 2 dragon wrasses. And 1 fairy wrasse. And a zebra morra.

We have an empy 90g im planning on filling up and using as a qt for then and then run the main tank with no fish for 2 months to let what ever is in it die out.

My worry is keeping up with the bio load with the zebra in the 90... she is about a foot long give or take right now but eats a lot. So would i be ok to leave the eel in the main tank i have heard they really cant get most of the stuff that fish can get. So would that be ok. Or do i need to remove her as well?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My story is about the same. Your plan sounds fine. Let's hear from the experts ! I'm afraid we won't like what we learn. For me, it's lesson learned !

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eel has to come out. And here is where it gets tricky...

Eels don't handle copper well, so he will need treated with chloroquine phosphate. CP is not difficult to use, but it's not always easy to get since you need a prescription from a vet. Chloroquine phosphate

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Chloroquine-phosphate.192309/

The wrasses on the other hand, won't tolerate CP. So they will need to be in a different tank than the eel, and should be treated with copper. Copper treatment

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Copper-treatment.193343/

I'll edit this post with links on treatment for both.

Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans)

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Ich-(Cryptocaryon-irritans).191226/

OP
OP
Sleeperr34

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the plus side is my wife works at the fish store. So they said they would keep the eel for us for how ever long. And the only 2 fish i just dont know is i can replace is my 2 dragon wrasses. Just because no one ever does 2 of them.. amd they will swim side by side all day and trade out one will move the little rocks arouns while the other hunts.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the plus side is my wife works at the fish store. So they said they would keep the eel for us for how ever long. And the only 2 fish i just dont know is i can replace is my 2 dragon wrasses. Just because no one ever does 2 of them.. amd they will swim side by side all day and trade out one will move the little rocks arouns while the other hunts.

Unless the eel gets treated it will still carry the parasite. It will carry it into whatever tank the store puts him in and then back into your display once reintroduced.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eel has to come out. And here is where it gets tricky...

Eels don't handle copper well, so he will need treated with chloroquine phosphate. CP is not difficult to use, but it's not always easy to get since you need a prescription from a vet. Chloroquine phosphate

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Chloroquine-phosphate.192309/

The wrasses on the other hand, won't tolerate CP. So they will need to be in a different tank than the eel, and should be treated with copper. Copper treatment

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Copper-treatment.193343/

I'll edit this post with links on treatment for both.

Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans)

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Ich-(Cryptocaryon-irritans).191226/
This exactly. You made my job easy on this thread! :)

The eel will carry the parasites and become a "Typhoid Mary" of sorts, negating your efforts, if left untreated.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will also want to leave your DT fallow for at least 76 days to be sure it is parasite free.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longest known strand of ich lasts 72 days so the experts recommend 76 days just to be safe.

OP
OP
Sleeperr34

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think it is ich. I was more worried it might be velvet just because of how fast the fish died. And was not a couple white spots. Like the whole body had thousands of them.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like velvet but I still think the experts recommend 76 days just to make sure your DT is parasite free, my thought is after you go through all the trouble of catching and treating all your fish what is another month of going fallow to ensure you are done with it forever. I will let the experts chime in on it just to be sure.

OP
OP
Sleeperr34

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh i agree. Does not help my wife gets so connected to them, and has almost been crying tonight about it all. But we have a lot of things around the house for a qt. Just need a filter.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do become part of the family, when we lost our flame hawk my wife and daughter cried. It was hard to see, he was the coolest fish I have ever had.

OP
OP
Sleeperr34

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats us right now with the eel and the 2 dragon wrasses. The eel at the store every day would come out and let her pet her belly at feeding so she had to bring it home. And the dragon wrasses are my favorite fish ever. And to have a ( pair ). I say thay lightly because,they are both still babies... is just amazing to me. Those 3 look healthy and nothing looks wrong so that is good. Just 1 leopard right now...

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they all pull through for you and just remember you will have a better healthier little ecosystem after this

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fallow period for velvet is 6 weeks, however it's not impossible to have both ich and velvet so to be sure you are clear of everything 76 days is the recommended fallow time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back