Side not looking so hot

Holland16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m new to the reef community and got some pretty bad advice to start out. Neverless definitely learned a ton over the last few months. Now I can’t see to find out what’s wrong with my fish I’ve tried treating him a few different ways from things I thought it may be but the spot keeps getting larger and his health seems to be declining everyday, got the spot about two weeks ago when we were on vacation and came back to this it’s almost doubled in size in about a week. I’ve used ick care and Pima fix on some recommendations from a local shop but noting. Plz help asap don’t want to get worse or lose our dotty back

89B21C8B-2426-412F-A3A9-0A195D651D94.jpeg 678E2F47-9994-42F5-B773-8AA556A0FD77.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m new to the reef community and got some pretty bad advice to start out. Neverless definitely learned a ton over the last few months. Now I can’t see to find out what’s wrong with my fish I’ve tried treating him a few different ways from things I thought it may be but the spot keeps getting larger and his health seems to be declining everyday, got the spot about two weeks ago when we were on vacation and came back to this it’s almost doubled in size in about a week. I’ve used ick care and Pima fix on some recommendations from a local shop but noting. Plz help asap don’t want to get worse or lose our dotty back

89B21C8B-2426-412F-A3A9-0A195D651D94.jpeg 678E2F47-9994-42F5-B773-8AA556A0FD77.jpeg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The concentric ring is how bacteria colonies grow. I’m not sure what the original cause of this was, but it does know look like a bacterial infection.
Pimafix is more of a tonic as opposed to a true antibiotic. The ich cure won’t help with this.
Do you have a hospital tank you could
move the fish to and treat it with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic?
Jay

OP
OP
Holland16

Holland16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The concentric ring is how bacteria colonies grow. I’m not sure what the original cause of this was, but it does know look like a bacterial infection.
Pimafix is more of a tonic as opposed to a true antibiotic. The ich cure won’t help with this.
Do you have a hospital tank you could
move the fish to and treat it with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic?
Jay
Thank you for the quick reply! Yes he is currently in the 10g hospital tank I have. What exactly do you suggest medicating the tank with? I have no clue what any type of treatments do/ are for and as you know there is a ton! I also bought API fin and body cure it says there is 250mg of Doxycycline hyclate per packet should I use this or something else? There are also two little Nitrate snails in the hospital tank will they be okay with treatments?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the quick reply! Yes he is currently in the 10g hospital tank I have. What exactly do you suggest medicating the tank with? I have no clue what any type of treatments do/ are for and as you know there is a ton! I also bought API fin and body cure it says there is 250mg of Doxycycline hyclate per packet should I use this or something else? There are also two little Nitrate snails in the hospital tank will they be okay with treatments?

The snails are probably ok. Always monitor a treatment tank for ammonia when dosing antibiotics.

I've never used doxycycline. It is one of the tetracyclines and those do not work well in marine aquariums due to interference with calcium. I don't know for sure if doxy is the same, but I would suspect so.

I would use Neoplex if you can get it, otherwise, use the doxy since you already have it.

Jay

Back