Side sump for 80 gallon?

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I have a two smaller tanks (AIO waterbox & aquajapan) but I’m wanting to start a larger 80ish gallon tank. I have the tank but the cabinet I have it on cannot have a sump underneath (it’s a cat litter box custom furniture lol). I have limited space but I can possibly have a sump on the side of the tank. Is it possible to add a side sump, without drilling the tank? There’s hardly any space behind the tank so the side would be the best option. Since it would be seen, what’s also the best way to create a display sump/refugium? It would be a mixed reef tank. This is what the tank looks like!

8C0596E2-2511-4210-AB64-EE349746EF30.jpeg

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Its doable but it's gonna be rough. There are videos of a dude doing just this on youtube. Check it out.

if at ALL possible, drill it. It will make life easier. And if my dumb butt can do it so can you. But remember your doing double the maintaince if your gonna do a display sump. Maybe get a stand for the sump and shove the kitties in a corner...just saying.

OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Its doable but it's gonna be rough. There are videos of a dude doing just this on youtube. Check it out.

if at ALL possible, drill it. It will make life easier. And if my dumb butt can do it so can you. But remember your doing double the maintaince if your gonna do a display sump. Maybe get a stand for the sump and shove the kitties in a corner...just saying.
Ha I’m limited to one room in the house lol so can’t shove them in the corner unfortunately
Do you know the title or a link for the video? Or have a link for a sump I can buy to place on the side rather than under? I’ve been looking but I’m not sure what I’m looking for

OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so, how can I tell if it’s not tempered glass? Would an overflow and a side sump work? How much lower does the sump need to be if I place it to the right side? What additional plumbing do I need to attach overflow+sump, what pumps would I need??
I’m thinking of buying this, would it work? What additional things should I get?

Attachments

• 0F9B87CA-7BDA-41E5-AE8F-40946572473D.png
    0F9B87CA-7BDA-41E5-AE8F-40946572473D.png
    282.6 KB · Views: 49

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots videos on youtube to see if glass tempered,like getting some kind sunglasses and looking through them.let me try find a video for you

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay so, how can I tell if it’s not tempered glass? Would an overflow and a side sump work? How much lower does the sump need to be if I place it to the right side? What additional plumbing do I need to attach overflow+sump, what pumps would I need??
I’m thinking of buying this, would it work? What additional things should I get?
that overflow will need drilling I'm pretty sure?

Just saw you're considering drilling. It is pretty simple.

Otherwise get a HOB overflow, as long as it's 1 inch lower it'll work. But the lower the better I guess.

OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that overflow will need drilling I'm pretty sure?

Just saw you're considering drilling. It is pretty simple.

Otherwise get a HOB overflow, as long as it's 1 inch lower it'll work. But the lower the better I guess.
I was thinking of a HOB, but I think the plastic rim on the aquarium may be too thick on the side I want, so that’s why I was considering drilling it, just gotta make sure it isn’t tempered

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why buy such an expensive sump? And if it's a display sump go with diy. Can't really see into to those. With diy, you have more room to customize and play with. As for height anywhere below the water level of you overflow/siphon.

If you do a hob, put your return pump on a relay for safety/longevity, also to avoid a mess. It'll keep the pump off should you lose power and prime. If you drill it no worries.

OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why buy such an expensive sump? And if it's a display sump go with diy. Can't really see into to those. With diy, you have more room to customize and play with. As for height anywhere below the water level of you overflow/siphon.

If you do a hob, put your return pump on a relay for safety/longevity, also to avoid a mess. It'll keep the pump off should you lose power and prime. If you drill it no worries.
I would have no idea where to even start building a sump, how many drain things I need, or filter sock area things. I know nothing about them except that it’s needed lol. I feel like I’d mess up and ultimately waste time/money. With affirm too I can pay in monthly installments vs upfront which is nice. That’s while I want to buy everything I’d need, and just pay in payments. I don’t know exactly what I’d need though, I feel like I’d forget to buy something I’d need o_O

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgetting things, that will be the case, when I rebuilt my sump in the basement, somehow I ended a union short. Plus since it's in the basement it didn't have to be pretty but functional.

I will say though figure out a way to include an Ato. 5 gallons a week on an open top system gets heavy and a nuisance.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hob overflow with Tom aqua lifter , soft plumbing I think I have the simplest sump setup lol

Attachments

• 1747472A-E001-43B6-9895-4E0968090411.jpeg
    1747472A-E001-43B6-9895-4E0968090411.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, these are the things I have in my cart:
-protein skimmer (quantum 160)
-L overflow (prodigy low profile)
-sapphire sump 39 (trigger)
-1” Wye Check Valve - Georg Fischer
-1” Cepex Ball Valve (x2 [do I need more than 2?])

I’m going to look at pvc piping on BRS, which I’ll also probably get at 1” sizing, unless I should go smaller? Do I need more bulkheads? What type of return pumps should I get, and what should I get to return the flow into the tank, drill or not to drill? And what is animal bean and that other name method I keep hearing/reading about? What’s the difference?

Back