Sierra_Bravo's Waterbox Cube 10 nano and Murdershrimp lair. . .

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I am severely lacking distractions at my office and find myself WAY too productive at work, I've decided to impair my ability to concentrate by starting an office nano! :rolleyes: Apparently the 120 gallon at home is not enough stress for me when I'm away on business.

I went with the Waterbox Cube 10 for no other reason other than I liked the size profile, price point, and that so far people seem to be pleased with their purchases.

For equipment I purchased a used AI Prime HD, used Smart Wave pump controller, and a new Duetto ATO unit. The pump shown below was supplied with the Waterbox.

8QPlg5Pl.jpg

Setup was pretty easy and straight forward. I installed the controllers/power supply under the desk, along with a 3 gallon reservoir for RO/DI. Wiring is messy, but I'll clean that up later (right. . .)

One thing I did not like was the holder for the Duetto ATO. It is very poorly designed and does not do a good job of holding the round control unit. The unit itself works well though and uses a single dual sensor to determine water height.

KbtSYpMl.jpg

VH0giptl.jpg

I added a spare desk support we had laying around to assist with weight distribution. You can't see the wiring mess once the file drawer cabinet was put back in place. Chance of me neatening the wiring has just been significantly reduced. :p

rOdeOLel.jpg

I added a Hydor pump and an Eheim 50W heater that I already had in the garage.

oJBawbBl.jpg

89vUBk1l.jpg

For filtration Waterbox sends a filter sponge and a bag of bio balls. I put these in my sump at home to pick up bacteria. Likely I will add to the AIO sump a couple of Marinepure cubes I keep in the 120's sump for seeding my QT tanks. I am looking to see if anyone has made a media basket for this model, but haven't found one yet.

t0WQkcRl.jpg

Looks pretty nice with the lights on. Don't let that clean desk fool you. . . you should see the other side! :D

FjgTXnnl.jpg

3LPJXI9l.jpg

Added some salt water and have the pumps running. The supplied pump would never had been enough. I've seen where some people have changed these to a more powerful model; right now I'll just stick with the powerhead.

GHJ7tC5l.jpg

Total setup expense to date is about $470.

As far as what I'd like to do with the tank, I'll have lots of time to figure that out as I don't plan to add anything for a couple months. I would like to try zoa's and LPS this time, though.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. From experience, having a tank at the office is awesome btw. Makes a stressful day a little better. Glance over and stare at it to chill out a little.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have to say I am jealous...pretty kool to be able to have one in the office. My waterbox cube 10 is basically my night light in the bedroom.o_O

As for the media basket - I heard inTank may be making one. In the interim I found you can either use IM or inTank media basket for the Fusion 20. They both will work if you create platform for them to stand on. I use eggcrates to create mine so that the IM media basket reaches the right height. I use a sponge in the back to keep the media basket from moving and is right up against the water flow. This has been working for me since I had setup my waterbox cube 10 back in late October. hth

IMG_20190108_124159sm.jpg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that looks like fun. The day at the office will now fly by.....and I'm sure the fish will be Well Fed and Fat.

You don't have to convince me about having an Office tank. My Tank is my Office...Or My Office is my Tank. Hmmm...not sure which way it is :)

Anyway you got some great equipment for the setup. The PRIME+HD light will be nice.
Till you get things stable, and filtration proven....Keep important papers off your desk.

You may want to consider Seachem Matrix for Media in Filter (with some seeding from the Marinepure Cube). I use Matrix for all my 10G QT Startups. With a bit of Seachem Stablity dosing. Then Carbon for the odd water polishing.
Always worked together for crystal clear water even when training fish in QT to EAT (overfeeding).

CUT DOWN THE SPONGE, below the Rim of the BioFilter. I did something similar in my QT BioFilter, and it started Wicking Water, and cause a slow drip out of tank onto Table. Top up kept filling things up to compensate and Salinity went down.

Looking forward to watching this Build as the Nano gets filled up with Goodies.

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Simple setup for a neat tank.
Zoas and some nice looking softies will be great and easy to maintain.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pics, but I took two 2x2 cubes of marine pure that has sat in my sump for a year along with some ammonium chloride and Bio-spira to work so I could add to the tank and get the cycle started.

Debating sand vs. bare-bottom and TBS rock versus a dry rock like Stax rock.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would have some fun with it. Keeping all SPS would be hard at your office anyway.

Sand abd TBS rock. softie and LPS corals. People will love the movement :)

I'm with you - SPS definitely is not the goal. This one will hopefully be about low maintenance, preferably water changes only, and focused on zoas, favia, a blasto or couple acans, and if I do anything else maybe a chalice or monti. Small hammer if I can find a space. I find my 120g limiting as far as all the choices I would like to make. . .this little bit of real estate in a 10 gallon is going to be tough.

I am a big proponent of TBS rock and write often about my positive experience with it. My only concern is that I am at their mercy for size and shape selection of the rocks, and in something that small I may want more control. Bare bottom or sand will probably come down to what kind of fish I want (if any).

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the two 2x2 blocks of seasoned MarinePure are doing their job. I have been dosing ten drops of Dr. Tim's ammonia and the tank has been processing it with no issue. I haven't tested for nitrates yet but I'll bet it's converting nitrites as well.
IMecjitl.jpg

4rvvqu8l.jpg

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GMZ853-232130- Coastal waters from Englewood to Tarpon Springs FL out 20 NM- 928 AM EST Wed Jan 23 2019 SMALL CRAFT EXERCISE CAUTION THIS AFTERNOON Southeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy. TONIGHT South winds around 20 knots with gusts to around 35 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy. Showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms. THURSDAY Northwest winds around 15 knots. Gusts around 30 knots early in the morning. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. A chance of showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms. THURSDAY NIGHT North winds around 15 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. FRIDAY North winds around 15 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GMZ853-232130- Coastal waters from Englewood to Tarpon Springs FL out 20 NM- 928 AM EST Wed Jan 23 2019 SMALL CRAFT EXERCISE CAUTION THIS AFTERNOON Southeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy. TONIGHT South winds around 20 knots with gusts to around 35 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy. Showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms. THURSDAY Northwest winds around 15 knots. Gusts around 30 knots early in the morning. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. A chance of showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms. THURSDAY NIGHT North winds around 15 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. FRIDAY North winds around 15 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop.

Yeah, but Richard, that's only on TOP of the water! :D :p :D Your rock is worth the wait.

Thanks for posting. On a separate note: One of these days I'd love to to hear any stories you have about fisherman who have marked your site that are there when you harvest - I bet with the relief of the rock on the bottom you've got your share of gags, mangrove snappers and then some. I'd be very surprised if your numbers aren't in a lot of GPS units. ;)

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is cool
Did he came as a hitchhiker?

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting. On a separate note: One of these days I'd love to to hear any stories you have about fisherman who have marked your site that are there when you harvest - I bet with the relief of the rock on the bottom you've got your share of gags, mangrove snappers and then some. I'd be very surprised if your numbers aren't in a lot of GPS units

actually after about 20 years NOAA put it on the coast guard navigation charts as a 'fish haven', a few years ago...so it shows on the charts and Garmins map plotters. It is a fish magnet for sure. I have resident Goliath groupers up to ten feet long, probably 800 pounds that live there 24/7. The smaller groupers follow me around as I collect the rock and snatch their dinner as it is exposed. Pretty much every fish that occurs in the Gulf of Mexico hang out there as it is the only habitat that will support the smallest to the largest fish out there for miles.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back