Sierra_Bravo's Waterbox Cube 10 nano and Murdershrimp lair. . .

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful stuff. I too lacked distractions in my office so not only do I have a 25 lagoon. I just moved my 14 peninsula invert coral QT into the office.

How is the dosing nitrates going?

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful stuff. I too lacked distractions in my office so not only do I have a 25 lagoon. I just moved my 14 peninsula invert coral QT into the office.

How is the dosing nitrates going?

Lol - I'm not ready to go to two tanks in the office. I'd run the business into the ground.

I tested before I left for a business trip last Saturday and had to dose to bring them up to 2.5 ppm from undetectable.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some additional pics - everything still looks pretty good. The mantis seems to be coming around after his molt. I saw him excavating for the first time in weeks yesterday.

yKBiwQWl.jpg

5XAr0atl.jpg

sttacnKl.jpg

UzwOeoXl.jpg

rztL7Gul.jpg

qDB0D0ll.jpg

3GsSCEBl.jpg

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job on the build, @Sierra_Bravo. Quick question: do you find the AC-powered Hydor powerhead a little loud when it it's being oscillated by the Hydor controller? I'm about to build one of these little guys for my daughter's room and have bad memories (from when I first started in the hobby) of loud clicking from the Hydor's when they are power cycled frequently. I was about to start the search for some Nano DC powered options, but I have a spare Hydor Nano 530 and the same controller sitting on the shelf that would cut my build costs....Hrmmm...

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so sharp. It’s ideal for displaying full coverage bioexclusion for algae. Any surface on the reef is either purple or the flesh of a mouth, ie places algae doesn’t like to grow. This is a prime example of a tank that has no biological lifespan limit. You can keep it eighty years, your corals aren’t going to die one day mysteriously (barring hardware issues we all risk) this reef will just run and run and run with minor water changes. So many large tanks will struggle with myriad challenges all related to access, but this reef just continues. True cruise control occurs when it’s all purple or flesh.
Biodiversity=never seen spreading tunicates that’s so lucky. Seen static ones that fade, but not positive building ones

You will simply never wake up one day to dinos given current steady state and new import control, the diversity provides ongoing competition forever with mere feed input

You’ll never have to charge, boost or pay anyone to help the bacteria as the claim of indefinite bio lifespan design means all dna needed for permanent running is in place, now.

Same for cyano, gha, it’s never just going to crash for some reason related to invasion. Invasive issues large tanks have, we are just immune due to full access and you amplified with 100% real live rock in full bioexclusion mode.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so sharp. It’s ideal for displaying full coverage bioexclusion for algae. Any surface on the reef is either purple or the flesh of a mouth, ie places algae doesn’t like to grow. This is a prime example of a tank that has no biological lifespan limit. You can keep it eighty years, your corals aren’t going to die one day mysteriously (barring hardware issues we all risk) this reef will just run and run and run with minor water changes. So many large tanks will struggle with myriad challenges all related to access, but this reef just continues. True cruise control occurs when it’s all purple or flesh.
Biodiversity=never seen spreading tunicates that’s so lucky. Seen static ones that fade, but not positive building ones

You will simply never wake up one day to dinos given current steady state and new import control, the diversity provides ongoing competition forever with mere feed input

You’ll never have to charge, boost or pay anyone to help the bacteria as the claim of indefinite bio lifespan design means all dna needed for permanent running is in place, now.

Same for cyano, gha, it’s never just going to crash for some reason related to invasion. Invasive issues large tanks have, we are just immune due to full access and you amplified with 100% real live rock in full bioexclusion mode.

Thanks for commenting, Brandon. Besides good husbandry practices, the single contributing factor that I attribute to success on this tank and my home display tank was using Tampa Bay Saltwater rock and sand direct from the Gulf of Mexico (@liverock). In both cases I had an almost immediate ability to convert ammonia direct to nitrate, did not experience an "ugly" phase, benefited from innate biodiversity, and was quickly able to achieve a stable tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back