OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. I got you mixed up with someone else moving to another Country.

BTW. That Solar Flare Milie you have is certainly Special.
It caught my Attention, since I got a similar Frag (Sold as Sunset Millie)

SunsetFrag.jpg

It's encrusting nicely and I'm holding my breath that it continues and becomes a nice Colony like yours one day.

SunSetMillieFragEncrusting.jpg

Your Millie is SPECTACULAR in the Close up PHoto!!!

When I look at your FTS it doesn't stand out as much, so that means you other Larger SPS are even more spectacular.

It's amazing to see the two before and after photos. 3 Years you made so much progress.
Things are tight but everything overlaps and blends in beautifully in your layout.
Looks like you are not yet purning your SPS at this point.

Thanks, Wally. I appreciate that. Likewise with your amazing setup - I wish I had the time and more so, the ability, to design and build my own devices and the level of detail you put into your posts.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice.

I notice in the video how your colonies are pretty packed close together and spreading out their limibs and not touching.

Are you pruning to keep SPS from touching, or is that natural luck?

My tank is edging close toward mini-colonies, and I know I packed the frags a bit to close, so as much as I appreciate my growth, it will be something of a concern down the road.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice.

I notice in the video how your colonies are pretty packed close together and spreading out their limibs and not touching.

Are you pruning to keep SPS from touching, or is that natural luck?

My tank is edging close toward mini-colonies, and I know I packed the frags a bit to close, so as much as I appreciate my growth, it will be something of a concern down the road.
Here and there, but for the most part I'm just letting them have at it.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! You still following moonshiners? If so, what's your daily dosing look like? I've considered it but not sure I want to tinker that much.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! You still following moonshiners? If so, what's your daily dosing look like? I've considered it but not sure I want to tinker that much.
Thanks!

Still using the method and very pleased. Really not that difficult to maintain. Personally I do an ICP test every two months, enter the values in Andre's calculator, and dose everything back to the correct levels over a few days per the guidelines the calculator provides. For dailies, it's a few drops or a few ml of 3-5 items; I do it right before bed and it never takes more than a couple minutes. If I miss a day I dose double to catch up. Easy-peasy.

I spent about $400 in additives initially to get started. Since then I've spent probably another $200 total replacing the few that I have gone through. That's in two years, so about $25 a month. It's very economical especially when you consider I have not changed water in all this time and the great results I've had since I began.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s it! That efflo is awesome! I forgot how good that thing was. What par do you have it at?

It's at the top of the tank in 350 or so, but heavily shaded by one of your other corals (half my tank seems to be yours) that I think you called "Ethereal" - real thick branches, teal/blue, grows horizontal and gets huge...I'm not sure what specific species it is.

That efflo is an aggressive piece...it encrusts rapidly and will overrun and kill anything in its way. You told me the day I grabbed it that it would be one of my favorites and it is. No one else has it. Greg's Efflo is awesome, but this one has better colors, IMO.

Do you not have yours anymore? You're welcome to have a piece if that's the case. I'm bringing John Yull a piece of a colony that he lost last freeze - we could meet up.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back