OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is coming along nicely. And it is a benefit to have Farmer Ty in the next city for an ample supply of great corals.

It's the equivalent of having your crack dealer live next door. "C'mon baby, I need a fix - just one more frag. . ." :p

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the equivalent of having your crack dealer live next door. "C'mon baby, I need a fix - just one more frag. . ." :p
Far enough away that you can't walk over at least... That's where the real trouble is...

I've always wanted a mystery wrasse. They are so inquisitive and colorful. I never got one because they are hard to find and heard they don't play well with other wrasses sometimes. Still a coveted fish for me! Nice find!

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where the heck did this guy come from after nearly a year?

I thought I had got rid of all my bad crabs until I happened to see this large crab peak out from a frag I had mounted earlier in the day. I was up until 1:30 trying to catch this little pain in the butt.

L1GOIbIh.jpg

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added two pieces of equipment to the tank:

The first was a CO2 scrubber. My low pH is due to carbon dioxide in the house, and I have no way to pipe in fresh air. I had been dipping down as low as 7.6 at night and swinging to 7.9 during the day. That's with chaeto and a grow light opposite of my main lights. I had received mixed opinions on whether or not adding a scrubber would do anything or if it was worth it, but it is a relatively cheap experiment to at least try. Since installing I am consistently 8.0 - 8.2. I hooked the air inlet to my skimmer for humid air and have been running the same media for 10 days with little color change. Whether it does anything for the corals remains to be seen, but I have had an increase in alk consumption.

e3mCOCkh.jpg

tLK6hVnh.jpg

I also added two powerheads to the tank. I was looking for used MP40's, but people want nearly full retail for used ones. I went with Current USA eflow 2100GPH because the set of two with the controller was only $200. I use the same brand on my QT and they are "ok". I have them on a short alternating pulse pattern and it has seemed to have made a difference with polyp extension on some of the corals, plus I can direct them as things grow out. Between these and the Gyres and accounting for the pattern percentages I have them running at, I'm calculating tank turnover at around 70X.

9ZdqV6Dh.jpg

nvTJnc4h.jpg

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have been playing around with pictures. I have never cared much for photography and I don't have a nice camera, so I've been using my cell phone - a Samsung Galaxy S8. I've been playing around with the Pro settings and also trying to post process out the blues using the Photoshop clone Paint.net. I like what I've been able to do with the post-processing as it does look much more true to life, but still not thrilled with taking pics with the phone.

ND7k5EYl.jpg

ozlF8Kol.jpg

XA6qEtbl.jpg

P2cPuOGl.jpg

trZKNhOl.jpg

eOpvrlHl.jpg

Pelagic One

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just woke up on a Sunday morning to read through such a beautiful build thread...thanks for sharing. You sure have come a very long way from the tetra death trap of your youth!

Bravo zulu to you, Sierra Bravo!

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still playing with my Galaxy S8 and post processing of the blue hues. Some are much worse than others. I guess these will give me something to compare to 6 mos down the road for growth:

Tubbs Stellata
rlyRScOh.jpg

WWC All-In monti
abxMa0Hh.jpg

JF Fox Flame
dkoaleVh.jpg

Farmer Ty Bottle Brush
w59j8gEh.jpg

YG Yellow
XlcTxROh.jpg

Needle in a Haystack & Tyree Undata
QhThJtxh.jpg

WWC Grafted Starfire
fjXR3Xth.jpg

War Coral
0dTKpgbh.jpg

Jedi Mind Trick
AlXOTW2h.jpg

Red Setosa
ErrcMpeh.jpg

Rainbow Stylo
uue7YkCh.jpg

WWC Juicy Fruit
arsxvrvh.jpg

ORA Borealis
hzwScRwh.jpg

Sarmentosa
XZNnayIh.jpg

Green Slimer
k9xoDQZh.jpg

UC SSC OG
JWuLG0yh.jpg

POTO Tweedy Bird
A5gOR2Kh.jpg

BC Grape Juice
QKlBbMlh.jpg

FHC Red Rage
Nxjby1Oh.jpg

BC "I love my Monster" tort
9oz8QZKh.jpg

Needle in a Haystack
Tkw3ZA9h.jpg

Mint Green Cap
dV5AUw0h.jpg

Palmer's Blue Millie
oYfx2cRh.jpg

M. Spongodes
bW4ZhrJh.jpg

Purple Scroll
Ak3Hg4gh.jpg

Red Monti Cap
lJs4AK6h.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little crazy on the Cherry Corals online sale. I'm done for a while. Thanks @CherryCorals ! You made it possible to fill a long list of wanted corals at a great price - and all at once. Great event!

Clockwise from upper left:

Hawkins Echinata
WWC Yellow Tip
RR Wolverine
ORA Pearlberry
RR Red Diablo
RR The Vinh

pAnzaSch.jpg

Last edited:

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where the heck did this guy come from after nearly a year?

I thought I had got rid of all my bad crabs until I happened to see this large crab peak out from a frag I had mounted earlier in the day. I was up until 1:30 trying to catch this little pain in the butt.

L1GOIbIh.jpg

A year back, it happened to me exactly the same thing.
Only difference the crab was a little large and I’ve started the hunt around midnight (the little guy has came out when lights out) and end up around 4am after tearing down almost all the rocks and destroying several acros.... it took me 30 minutes to catch him and the rest of the time to correct the damage... :)

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Christmas in April compliments of @CherryCorals. Very well packed - can't wait until lunch so I can get them acclimated and dipped. Hard to see the box sitting in the office and not want to take them all out and play with them. . . :D

MtucGemh.jpg

eZM8oLhh.jpg

VXf8KETh.jpg
Next time have them send it to me Scott. I won't ignore them like that. I'll make them feel welcome in their new home! [emoji12]

What goodies did you get?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back