Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more updates:

I used 1/4 PVC foam board to create a very effective way to block out the sides and rear of the tank while allowing me the ability to easily remove it for maintenance or even to change out the color. I wrote a separate post about it here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/an-alternative-to-painting-your-tank.300005/

GCxjxIc.jpg

I also mounted two Maxspect Ethereal LED's, but put them on tv/monitor articulated arms so I could easily move them out of the way for cleaning. I wrote a post on that as well if you have an interest: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/u...rms-to-install-maxspect-ethereal-leds.299873/

dOTgL29.jpg

uSospzY.jpg

I'm using Maxspect Gyres, the XF-250's, for circulation.

sPKRwYd.jpg

dJe1w2q.jpg

I even put in my refugium light:

kUGiE1U.jpg

SOOO close to adding water I can taste the salt. I just need to trim out the outside of the tank and complete my wire management and it's ready to get wet.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up...
I am currently drawing plumbing and electrical plans for a build with a shawdow overflow. It looks like you have one. My question is on your drain line going into the sump. Will they be submerged or will the water fall into the( I assume) sock? The reason i ask is because in my mind trying to get the sock out from under a pipe or even a short length of flexible hose might be difficult. How is yours set up?

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up...
I am currently drawing plumbing and electrical plans for a build with a shawdow overflow. It looks like you have one. My question is on your drain line going into the sump. Will they be submerged or will the water fall into the( I assume) sock? The reason i ask is because in my mind trying to get the sock out from under a pipe or even a short length of flexible hose might be difficult. How is yours set up?

The full siphon and open channel drains should end about 1-2" below the waterline. It is a bit of a pain putting on/taking off a sock because you have to submerge the top of the sock to get it off. I don't have livestock yet so it's not a big deal, but if the sock was full of gunk there could be a chance of having some released into your chamber. I haven't decided of I'm going to use a sock or not yet.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The full siphon and open channel drains should end about 1-2" below the waterline. It is a bit of a pain putting on/taking off a sock because you have to submerge the top of the sock to get it off. I don't have livestock yet so it's not a big deal, but if the sock was full of gunk there could be a chance of having some released into your chamber. I haven't decided of I'm going to use a sock or not yet.
Yeah thats exactly why i was asking. Im still 8+ months out before spkashing so i have time to work out the kinks.
The 2 submerged lines ending in the sock is something that keeps revisiting my plan so i thought i would ask. Anyway good luck and good build. thanks

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm officially declaring the build part "done"! The tank is salty and I'm going to wait until I get back from a business trip before adding anything. I think I'm going with Tampa Bay Saltwater for live rock and sand. I can't wait!

NuluonU.jpg
UOn9Cph.jpg

eo4o0G6.jpg

From before thru planning to the final result. I'm happy with how it came out.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completion photos and equipment list:

Aqueon 120 gallon rimmed tank, in-wall with fish room.
Trigger Systems Ruby 36 sump
Synergy Reef 16" Shadow overflow and beananimal drain
(2) Maxspect Ethereal LED lighting fixtures with controller
(2) Gyre Generator xf250 flow pumps with controller
(2) IceCap battery backups for Gyres
Tunze Osmolator ATO system
ReefKeeper Lite with SL2 module - temperature, salinity, and pH probes
(2) 1900 gph Current USA eFlux DC flow pumps (one used for mixing saltwater)
Dual Finnex 500 watt heaters
Bubble Magnus Curve 5 skimmer
Avast Marine media reactor
Eliminator 8 port switch controller
BRS 4 stage Value Plus ro/di system
Saltwater mixing station with two 25 gallon tanks
Panasonic whisper exhaust fan with Duostat humidity and temperature controller
Taotronics LED grow light bulb
LED strip for sump work light

AWswMQi.jpg

GWBxdQd.jpg

MQqzLwi.jpg

m87pNkN.jpg

Xty6Hlm.jpg

18wYoVh.jpg

Mh5kY1f.jpg

xcQGjBv.jpg

bfuEX9C.jpg

HBXK4KO.jpg

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been anticipating ordering from Tampa Bay Saltwater for my live rock and sand almost from the first day I started my build. The thought that I could put rock and sand in my tank that used to live just a few miles off the coast of my home state meant a lot to me as the reason for building the tank in the first place was that we very much missed being around and in the Florida waters.

I placed my order for a 120# package on Wednesday afternoon and for a Friday shipment. First thing Friday I received notice that my part one had shipped, which included all of the sand and half of the rock. I tracked the flight and went to Southwest's cargo area to pick it up.

W3f6Bkl.jpg

g8Lkv3c.jpg

50drVDU.jpg

I placed everything in the tank to let it settle before arranging the rock in the general shape that I wanted it.

Gj9gNZF.jpg

qWUNcXV.jpg

qWUNcXV.jpg

Xsxaacl.jpg

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were lots of small hermits and snails hiding away in the sand and rock. We also found three gorilla crabs and a porcelain crab. I haven't heard any mantis or pistol shrimp. Unfortunately it looks like we lost all of the feather dusters and at least half of the sponges that were on the rock.

This morning the tank had cleared up considerably.

y63HYcO.jpg

uRoAj6o.jpg

B6Ggq7X.jpg

Bqu1Wky.jpg

I44TxBi.jpg

3e5HhrF.jpg

xoSfSeQ.jpg

cPVlSIr.jpg

46pM4Eq.jpg

CIqIU5A.jpg

95aUNx2.jpg

gktASid.jpg

We received "part" of what I think was a brittle star:

FbhIfmP.jpg

And my daughter wanted to make sure I included a pic of the procelain crab, which apparently now goes by the name "Bob"...

uJxscXo.jpg

In a few weeks they'll send Part 2 of my order which will include the other half of the rock and lots of critters and goodies.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For this being your first reef tank you did a pro job on planning, building and executing.
Congratulation and I hope to see more of this. :)
Following

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back