Sierra_Bravo's "What did I get myself into??" 120g in-wall build thread

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job on the OutSide Airline. The Creepy Crawler filter is a good idea. I did the same..

You will enjoy the improvement in PH.
It won't be much, but over time you will see some impact.

It is a bit odd that you didn't notice an quick spike right away. I did, then it petered out over time.
This is what happen right after I installed my Fresh Air connection.
2017-09-25_PHFreshAir2330hrs.jpg

It could be that your PH is as good as it can be (with Dosing), and CO2 not so bad in your place.

One thing to test is go to the outside opening and you should be able to plug the end and skimmer should react. (As a a vaccum builds up)
If not you have a leak. Doubt it (Since you did a really good solid install) but you never know.
I discovered a leak not in the Main Line to outside, it was in the Line connecting to skimmer to the the outside run.

If you want to really get an improvement with CO2/PH improvement, you could consider a CO2 Scrubber.
I tried and got this kind of extra improvment (with Outside airline feeding the Scrubber).
Feeding Outside air extends the Media life, over cleaning CO2 Inside air, but not much.
2019-02-07_CO2ScrubberFreshAirAutoValvePHswitch.jpg

But the Media Burns off super fast and is just too expensive.
I gave up on the idea.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job on the OutSide Airline. The Creepy Crawler filter is a good idea. I did the same..

You will enjoy the improvement in PH.
It won't be much, but over time you will see some impact.

It is a bit odd that you didn't notice an quick spike right away. I did, then it petered out over time.
This is what happen right after I installed my Fresh Air connection.
2017-09-25_PHFreshAir2330hrs.jpg

It could be that your PH is as good as it can be (with Dosing), and CO2 not so bad in your place.

One thing to test is go to the outside opening and you should be able to plug the end and skimmer should react. (As a a vaccum builds up)
If not you have a leak. Doubt it (Since you did a really good solid install) but you never know.
I discovered a leak not in the Main Line to outside, it was in the Line connecting to skimmer to the the outside run.

If you want to really get an improvement with CO2/PH improvement, you could consider a CO2 Scrubber.
I tried and got this kind of extra improvment (with Outside airline feeding the Scrubber).
Feeding Outside air extends the Media life, over cleaning CO2 Inside air, but not much.
2019-02-07_CO2ScrubberFreshAirAutoValvePHswitch.jpg

But the Media Burns off super fast and is just too expensive.
I gave up on the idea.

Great response as usual. Always a fan of "Wally-engineering" :).

I have been running an oversized CO2 scrubber for almost a year. The outside airline is in addition to the scrubber. When I first installed my scrubber I was able to get up to 8.2-3. I've slowly had diminishing returns since then, especially since I went to my calcium reactor.

I'm getting plenty of airflow to the skimmer - I've checked and it's pulling just fine. My only goal here really is to stay above 7.8 overnight. If I was able to get to 8.2 during the day that would be great as I had seen the best health in my tank at a higher pH level.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great response as usual. Always a fan of "Wally-engineering" :).

I have been running an oversized CO2 scrubber for almost a year. The outside airline is in addition to the scrubber. When I first installed my scrubber I was able to get up to 8.2-3. I've slowly had diminishing returns since then, especially since I went to my calcium reactor.

I'm getting plenty of airflow to the skimmer - I've checked and it's pulling just fine. My only goal here really is to stay above 7.8 overnight. If I was able to get to 8.2 during the day that would be great as I had seen the best health in my tank at a higher pH level.
Really you run a C02 Scrubber. That's cool.

That explains why your've not getting much Better PH with Fresh Air. But your Media for C02 Scubber should go longer. (Less CO2 scrubbed)

What kind of design? Dual Chamber and swap like on the BRS TV video.
How about media (Color Changing type)....Have you found a cheaper source like Bulk from Scuba Dive shops or something? (It used for Re-breathing in Deep Dives)

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really you run a C02 Scrubber. That's cool.

That explains why your've not getting much Better PH with Fresh Air. But your Media for C02 Scubber should go longer. (Less CO2 scrubbed)

What kind of design? Dual Chamber and swap like on the BRS TV video.
How about media (Color Changing type)....Have you found a cheaper source like Bulk from Scuba Dive shops or something? (It used for Re-breathing in Deep Dives)

I used to use the BRS style but ended up re-purposing an Avast media reactor for a larger chamber. I buy soda lime in bulk bags. It's actually from a veterinary supplier. I can't remember what I paid but it was cheaper than BRS. It is color changing.

20200610_230756.jpg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use the BRS style but ended up re-purposing an Avast media reactor for a larger chamber. I buy soda lime in bulk bags. It's actually from a medical supplier. I can't remem,ber what I paid but it was cheaper than BRS. It is color changing.
Have you ever tried or consider adding Kalkwasser to your tank system.
Not 100% ATO up method but as a dose/drip [add on]
It has as PH of 12.0 saturated and can bring up PH if done properly.

I fooled around with that and you certainly get Higher PH, but a trickly balancing act with other ALK/CALC methods like your CACLIUM reactor (another thing I never tried.....someday, when I get more than Frag SPS)

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your joking. It can get that cheap. $8 for 3lbs.
When I was looking it was insane pricing.
I will have to look again at meds stores.

This is what I bought.

This larger one is (3 Litres which is about a Gallon) $64 ( I wonder how much it weights) RIP OFF!!!

People put water in bottles and sell it for a lot of money, too. ;)

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People put water in bottles and sell it for a lot of money, too. ;)
I did the math.
Based on the 5 Gallon Medical bag of SODA LIME at $98 comes to $5.50/litre.
So the Larger Can of Two Little Fishies SODA LIMEat $64 for 3 Litres cost $21/litre.
The smaller 750 ml can of Two Little Fishes cost $32/litre.
OUCH!!

Thanks for the TIP, I got to find some Bulk Soda Lime.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One month into the Reef Moonshiner's program. I will say that I feel the tank has turned a corner and is a better place. I've lost quite a few colonies and frags to TN and chopped up several more, but while I still have a little TN pop up here or there, for the most part what I have left seems to have stabilized and has better color. I even harvested chaeto today, which I have not had to do for a while since it also had stopped growing. Whether it was the chiller, the pH , the witch hazel, or the Moonshiner's calculator that had the most effect I'll never know, but I'll say it was likely a bit of everything.

Special thanks to @PSXerholic; he's been a great guide through all these problems and helping me get to what feels like a new starting point. Fingers crossed for continued improvement.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brokedown and bought an Apex and said "Goodbye" to the Reefkeeper Lite. Long overdue. Calibrated the pH probe twice and it's showing me closer to 8.2 during the day, so perhaps the old one was a little off or my fresh air kicked in.

Finally seeing some color and signs of growth again. Pardon the pics - I butchered the exposure.

20200621_182644a.jpg
20200621_182231a.jpg
20200621_182427a.jpg
20200621_182323a.jpg
20200621_183220a.jpg
20200621_183132a.jpg
20200621_182956a.jpg
20200621_183030a.jpg
20200621_182351a.jpg
20200621_182831a.jpg
20200621_182203a.jpg
20200621_182624a.jpg

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros that have lain dormant are now starting to pop. I think I'm going to like this no-name I received from a local. This is in 14,000K and really starting to look like it will be something special. ;Joyful

20200718_175222b.jpg
Looks like a pink lemonade, but I'm often wrong

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros that have lain dormant are now starting to pop. I think I'm going to like this no-name I received from a local. This is in 14,000K and really starting to look like it will be something special. ;Joyful

20200718_175222b.jpg
Looks Beautiful. Super Healthly and as you say Showing Future Potential. Heck it's already Future Potential NOW!!

Back