Significantly elevated Iron, molybdenum and manganese in ICP test

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just got back my Fauna Marin ICP test which is attached. Most stuff seems fine to me except for my Iron, molybdenum and manganese which were significantly elevated. I suspect this is from dosing Chaetogrow during a time when my Chaeto growth flatlined and died. Since this ICP test (test was stuck in Houston during weather events, this is water from 2/6) I’ve added a new batch of chaeto which has grown a massive amount in the last few weeks.

So what, if anything, should I do about these levels? Obviously stop dosing chaetogrow for the time being, but should I actively take action to reduce these numbers, or just let growing chaeto and regular water changes sort it out after stopping the dosing?

Attachments

• 0162.pdf
    150.2 KB · Views: 95

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my.

Honestly except for the molybdenum, the goni will take care of the other. You do need to watch because they need the iron and manganese.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry much and would just dose less.

FWIW, I've not seen any evidence that gonipora USE an unusually large amount of manganese or other ions (it may be true, but I've never seen any such data).

That's different than the usual comment that they "need" more manganese in the water. Those two things are largely unrelated issues. It may just mean they are not especially good at absorbing these ions if the levels are below natural levels.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Buy a gonipora. That will solve that. :)

As one of the first few to start to keep multiple goniopora successfully regularly that has never been proven that I have seen. One person along time ago said they saw benefits from adding Kent Iron and manganese and it was spread around for years because of who it was.
I have seen nothing positive or negative from adding it or not adding it. Could it help some, maybe but I have never seen anything either way myself or a study that proved it.

Last edited:

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two gonipora. One a buy, one a rescue. When I put the rescue in my tank it did well for a while then the tentacles retracted. Same with my longer term bought goniopora, tentacles retracted and it was also experiencing tissue recession.

Water changes would get the tentacles out for a day, but then they went back in and stayed there until the next water change. I suspected trace elements. My manganese was already low as verified by an ICP test so I was preparing to dose that. I saw the video you referred to by the person you didn't name. So I made a solution of Iron and Manganese Nitrate. After some fiddling I was able to get a good ratio between the two. I don't know which is doing the work or if only one. What I do know is that the gonis have regained lost tissue and are growing plus the tentacles are out.

If you want to say that it is something else, then I don't agree. I can stop the dosing and the the gonis will go back to their problem state, and as soon as I start supplementation again then they come back out and recover.

You can see the damage in the lower middle near the base. This is the bought goni.
20210225_191031229_iOS.jpg

This is the rescue.
20210225_191043603_iOS.jpg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two gonipora. One a buy, one a rescue. When I put the rescue in my tank it did well for a while then the tentacles retracted. Same with my longer term bought goniopora, tentacles retracted and it was also experiencing tissue recession.

Water changes would get the tentacles out for a day, but then they went back in and stayed there until the next water change. I suspected trace elements. My manganese was already low as verified by an ICP test so I was preparing to dose that. I saw the video you referred to by the person you didn't name. So I made a solution of Iron and Manganese Nitrate. After some fiddling I was able to get a good ratio between the two. I don't know which is doing the work or if only one. What I do know is that the gonis have regained lost tissue and are growing plus the tentacles are out.

If you want to say that it is something else, then I don't agree. I can stop the dosing and the the gonis will go back to their problem state, and as soon as I start supplementation again then they come back out and recover.

You can see the damage in the lower middle near the base. This is the bought goni.
20210225_191031229_iOS.jpg

This is the rescue.
20210225_191043603_iOS.jpg
Wasn't a video when that statement was made and YouTube may not have even existed yet.
That looks like it is possibly a ORA goni. I have one that is probably 10 years old and has spent years in tanks with none of that added. Like I said I tried it before to see and saw no difference. At one point I bet I had over a dozen different gonis I was growing. If it works fine for you that is ok I never saw any adverse affect from it either so it can not hurt.

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the replies. As for the gonis I can’t say I’ve seen any difference in them with these levels so high.

the chaeto in my Tunze reactor seems rather happy though.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. As for the gonis I can’t say I’ve seen any difference in them with these levels so high.

the chaeto in my Tunze reactor seems rather happy though.

Macroalgae is known to be a huge user of iron and manganese. A few grams of new macroalgae growth can deplete a 100 gallon tank of manganese.

Back