Silicate remover that won’t drop out PO4

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting some diatoms (possibly) on my 9 month old aquarium and I’m wondering if silicates are my problem. I need to check TDS of my RODI, and assuming that is the issue, is there a way to reduce silicates without refusing PO4? My PO4 is currently 0.03 so I obviously don’t want it much lower. I have some SeaChem Elite but not wanting to use it due to its PO4 lowering capability.
Any suggestions?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting some diatoms (possibly) on my 9 month old aquarium and I’m wondering if silicates are my problem. I need to check TDS of my RODI, and assuming that is the issue, is there a way to reduce silicates without refusing PO4? My PO4 is currently 0.03 so I obviously don’t want it much lower. I have some SeaChem Elite but not wanting to use it due to its PO4 lowering capability.
Any suggestions?
Is this the first diatom bloom for this system? How are you distinguishing diatoms from dinoflagellates?

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this might be the first bloom, however it’s only occurring on the glass. The sand and rocks are clear.
I never went through an ugly phase to speak of because I left the lights off like three months.

Honestly I’m not sure how to distinguish the two. I have been reading about diatoms vs dinos some though.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this might be the first bloom, however it’s only occurring on the glass. The sand and rocks are clear.
I never went through an ugly phase to speak of because I left the lights off like three months.

Honestly I’m not sure how to distinguish the two. I have been reading about diatoms vs dinos some though.
You will need a microscope to distinguish the two micro algae.

Clean surfaces general become fouled first by a conditioning layer, which is made of organic compounds dissolved in the water. Next bacteria colonize the surface and change the surface by laying down a biofilm. About this time diatoms colonize the surface. I presume the presence of bacteria is beneficial. At this point if silicon, nitrogen and phosphorous are available, the diatoms quickly reproduce and until other photosynthetic organisms begin to grow on the surface, the diatoms will develop visible golden-brown films. Generally, the diatoms are introduced into the system when you stock the aquarium. Diatoms can arrive in a dormant state and start to grow when conditions are right. Dinoflagellates and cyanobacteria seem to become visible after diatom numbers decline.

Maybe, your system‘s surfaces are just starting be colonized.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 4 stage RODI still lets silicate get through and results in some light diatoms in my tank from water changes and top off. I recently switched to a Spectrpure silicate buster filter for my RODI system to eliminate the silicate in my water.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing diatoms purely based on the fact that my NO3 and PO4 aren’t zero.

I don't think thats how that works. Once my silica depleted less than 0.06ppm (tested with hanna low range silica) I started to get dino's despite my nitrates averaging around 18ppm and phosphate 0.14 ppm.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions?

Im not aware of any good way to remove silicate from the aquarium itself without also reducing phosphate, except dosing phosphate plus a binder.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
get some nerite snails while you figure out how to reduce your silicates. they’ll help minimize the diatoms on glass and rocks.

i had the same issue but eventually dosed live phyto and it went away. few weeks later i ended up with cyano…

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 4 stage RODI still lets silicate get through and results in some light diatoms in my tank from water changes and top off. I recently switched to a Spectrpure silicate buster filter for my RODI system to eliminate the silicate in my water.
Is just a certain type of DI resin?

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I wouldn't recommend spending the extra on it unless you have problematic diatoms.
My Silicon levels on my last ICP tests has been creeping up since September. 198, 225, and now 231. I know these aren’t egregious compared to the 0-200 set point that Triton assigns. However, I don’t want them getting higher over time. Thoughts on best way to approach?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Silicon levels on my last ICP tests has been creeping up since September. 198, 225, and now 231. I know these aren’t egregious compared to the 0-200 set point that Triton assigns. However, I don’t want them getting higher over time. Thoughts on best way to approach?

Why does it concern you?

I dosed silicate regularly to keep it sufficient to allow diatom growth.

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubled up on my di and also have started running phosguard in my top off and water change containers so not to strip the display. We have super clean city water but high silicates I'm guessing because we live so close to the ocean?

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it concern you?

I dosed silicate regularly to keep it sufficient to allow diatom growth.
I have some sponges growing that are taking off, and assuming it’s from the silicate. I need to keep removing the sponge, pretty much grows in between my zoas and starting to take over a bit.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not aware of any good way to remove silicate from the aquarium itself without also reducing phosphate, except dosing phosphate plus a binder.
Randy,
What is the best way to remove silicate? If I have to dose phosphates, I can do that too. My phosphates are low now (below 0.03) but my siliacates are above 8.
When you say "plus a binder", what do you recommend?
Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
What is the best way to remove silicate? If I have to dose phosphates, I can do that too. My phosphates are low now (below 0.03) but my siliacates are above 8.
When you say "plus a binder", what do you recommend?
Thank you

What are the units of that "above 8" and do you have a problematic level of diatoms?

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the units of that "above 8" and do you have a problematic level of diatoms?
8653 ug/l
I have some diatoms...would love to get back to white sand.
The biggest problem is that the silicate/silicon throws off the Hanna ULR Phosphate tester
I did restart the GFO reactor today and plan to dose phosphates to keep the GFO from bottoming out the phosphates while it removes the silicates

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8653 ug/l
I have some diatoms...would love to get back to white sand.
The biggest problem is that the silicate/silicon throws off the Hanna ULR Phosphate tester
I did restart the GFO reactor today and plan to dose phosphates to keep the GFO from bottoming out the phosphates while it removes the silicates

What company did that ICP?

How are you purifying top off water?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back