Silicone for Replacing Waterbox Glass Pane?

ChaetoFarm_Kai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever done it? I managed to score an older Waterbox Reef 130.4 in a trade. The stand had a few minor issues which are can easily be repaired, most of which I’ve already tackled however the glass on the display tank has a few significant blemishes I’m wanting to address before I transfer my 75 gallon reef into the new setup. The worst blemishes being a 3/8” chip dead center in the top edge of the front pane, and a gnarly scratch in left side of the front pane. There are also several smaller scratches on the front and side panes towards the bottom, typical scratches from the rock work that can mostly be hidden by a 2” sandbed. I’ve been thinking about I could fill the chip with UV resin and that would greatly reduce its appearance, but sanding/polishing out that large scratch seems like a much riskier undertaking for me. I’ve managed to source a replacement front pane made of low iron 1/2” glass for only ~$320 which seems like a worthwhile investment. If I did this, i’d essentially have a pristine Reef 130 the only blemishes being minor scratches on the side panes.

What silicone would be appropriate to glue a replacement panel on a waterbox? I’ve noticed the stuff they use seems to be significantly firmer than the typical silicone seen in standard aqueon tanks for example. Is Momentive 103 appropriate for this application? Are there any tools or techniques that could make this job easier? 854C54D0-5632-4615-9330-580A48BDD4F9.jpeg CA4E1E09-B2F4-48EE-8409-A2B8A8FB01FE.jpeg 5F746CFB-9DCF-4E4A-9D1F-FC1F42D6AA6B.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever done it? I managed to score an older Waterbox Reef 130.4 in a trade. The stand had a few minor issues which are can easily be repaired, most of which I’ve already tackled however the glass on the display tank has a few significant blemishes I’m wanting to address before I transfer my 75 gallon reef into the new setup. The worst blemishes being a 3/8” chip dead center in the top edge of the front pane, and a gnarly scratch in left side of the front pane. There are also several smaller scratches on the front and side panes towards the bottom, typical scratches from the rock work that can mostly be hidden by a 2” sandbed. I’ve been thinking about I could fill the chip with UV resin and that would greatly reduce its appearance, but sanding/polishing out that large scratch seems like a much riskier undertaking for me. I’ve managed to source a replacement front pane made of low iron 1/2” glass for only ~$320 which seems like a worthwhile investment. If I did this, i’d essentially have a pristine Reef 130 the only blemishes being minor scratches on the side panes.

What silicone would be appropriate to glue a replacement panel on a waterbox? I’ve noticed the stuff they use seems to be significantly firmer than the typical silicone seen in standard aqueon tanks for example. Is Momentive 103 appropriate for this application? Are there any tools or techniques that could make this job easier? 854C54D0-5632-4615-9330-580A48BDD4F9.jpeg CA4E1E09-B2F4-48EE-8409-A2B8A8FB01FE.jpeg 5F746CFB-9DCF-4E4A-9D1F-FC1F42D6AA6B.jpeg
@dantimdad has redone a ton of tanks and may be able to assist you.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use ASI you can find it on Amazon. It’s the best I have ever used. And I have built and repaired literally hundreds of tanks.

OP
OP
C

ChaetoFarm_Kai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use ASI you can find it on Amazon. It’s the best I have ever used. And I have built and repaired literally hundreds of tanks.

I use RTV 108 from Momentive on my builds

Do either of you guys have experience with both? From what I’ve read about the two on here and in Amazon reviews, Momentive has a ~15% higher tensile strength (400psi vs 350). I’ve seen a few users specifically mention that it seemed quite strong. Which leads me to believe it’s rather firm once cured. And I’ve also read a few accounts saying that it skins/hardens very quickly, which could be a positive or a negative. Haven’t found much written about any distinct characteristics of the ASI which makes me think it’s closer to a more traditional/conventional RTV silicone. Momentive seems more attractive to me for a 96g rimless tank, but “hundreds of tanks” is also hard to argue with.

Last edited:

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do either of you guys have experience with both? From what I’ve read about the two on here and in Amazon reviews, Momentive has a ~15% higher tensile strength (400psi vs 350). I’ve seen a few users specifically mention that it seemed quite strong. Which leads me to believe it’s rather firm once cured. And I’ve also read a few accounts saying that it skins/hardens very quickly, which could be a positive or a negative. Haven’t found much written about any distinct characteristics of the ASI which makes me think it’s closer to a more traditional/conventional RTV silicone. Momentive seems more attractive to me for a 96g rimless tank, but “hundreds of tanks” is also hard to argue with.
I have only used rtv 108. It has ~10min skin time. Battery operated or electric caulking gun is the way to go. My ryobi battery operated works great.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back