Silly Idea, leaving live rock (rubble) in saltwater mixing station

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a traditional two tub water station. Freshwater above, SW below.

I was wondering would it be beneficial to add rubble in the SW container? So when you add new SW to your display (AWC setup) some of the beneficial bacteria could enter? I know most of the bacteria is on the rock NOT the water column. I just wonder will you wipe out the bacteria when adding FW to then dump salt to mix.

Just an idea...

rubble such as this:

NoFoolin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend that. The bacteria you want needs fish waste to live. Your holding tank is sterile, relatively speaking, so it will starve and die. The water will turn and not be good for use after some time. Also, read the mixing instructions on your salt mix. There is usually a min max time to stir.

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would probably kill everything when you add fresh water then mix. You may also not be having any beneficial bacteria in the water column since what is on the rock, when you put it in there, is going to stay on the rock if its not already free swimming (I assume)

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was a silly idea. As a noob, better to ask here vs experimenting with animals' lives and health. Thank you @NoFoolin and @AutumnReefs for replying.

Fear not R2R, I'll keep that rubble in my tank once I get my hands on it :)

If you want I can recommend some bacteria products. PM me if you'd like my favorite list. I have used an unusual amount of bacterial products

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it won't do anything good or bad. My salt water mixing tank (2 x 44 gallon Brute cans) attained lots of precipitated solid material over the years, and I felt little need to remove it.

1621517449822.png

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want I can recommend some bacteria products. PM me if you'd like my favorite list. I have used an unusual amount of bacterial products
This made me chuckle. Were you testing them out or something? Why have you used an unusual amount compared to other people?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back