Silvery scales on pyramid butterflies

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't want to post this in the disease forum because I can't say that it is. Anyone have an idea what is causing the white areas of my pyramid butterflies to get these silvery reflective scales? It's not symmetrical on the fish (ie the same on both sides), and it has definitely increased in appearance... from on only one side of one fish to on at least one side of all 3 fish. Fish seem completely unaffected. All fish go through at least one round of cupramine and 2 rounds of prazi and metro for two weeks in the food. Input welcome! Sorry for the blurry pics... they are fast fish... but I think you get the idea.

119986113_2404301839875074_2275940743960647909_n.jpg 20200923_121958.jpg 20200923_121952.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's odd. Does anything in the tank sting?

Are you sure it's silver scales and not missing scales?

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a FOWLR. None of the other fish bother them, nor do they squabble with each other. No reason for missing scales that I can imagine. Though TBH I am not sure what a missing scale vs this, looks like.

Last edited:

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, and have had several Pyrimid's.
It's very common. They will fill in eventually.
Pyrimid's for some reason take forever to heal from a wound or even a tail or fin nip.
Dont know why.

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, and have had several Pyrimid's.
It's very common. They will fill in eventually.
Pyrimid's for some reason take forever to heal from a wound or even a tail or fin nip.
Dont know why.

So you think it is physical damage?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a FOWLER, fully quarantined and medicated along the way, and it had the same exact perplexing problem. Some areas looked like an issue with the scales, other areas looked like strange internal translucent white blotches— not completely circular, but irregular shaped. I never could figure it out and after about a year the fish just died. Like you, I never saw him picked on by anything in the FOWLR.

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a FOWLER, fully quarantined and medicated along the way, and it had the same exact perplexing problem. Some areas looked like an issue with the scales, other areas looked like strange internal translucent white blotches— not completely circular, but irregular shaped. I never could figure it out and after about a year the fish just died. Like you, I never saw him picked on by anything in the FOWLR.

Eeek, well, hoping death isn't a result ;).

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happens with my pyramids all the time. No idea why and it doesn't seem to correlate with anything bad.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree (and forgot to add) that the fish acted normal, seemingly unaffected by the ‘blemishes’— but it annoyed the heck out of me. I don’t think I’ll ever replace the Pyramid. I had a Pearlscale for a long time that was beautiful!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree (and forgot to add) that the fish acted normal, seemingly unaffected by the ‘blemishes’— but it annoyed the heck out of me. I don’t think I’ll ever replace the Pyramid. I had a Pearlscale for a long time that was beautiful!

I can understand that. The silver gives me a FW/brackish vibe that I am totally not into.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back