Simple bacteria bloom or something else?

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I think this may be just a simple bacterial infection but I can’t seem to get it under control.

Started with cloudy water. I got a uv light (basic 24w green killing machine) I know it isn’t the best but hoping to get clear water. The smaller one worked on a smaller tank previously.

The next morning, it was terribly worse. I’m suspecting the uv didn’t get rinsed thoroughly? It got extremely cloudy then I realized the light was broken. So I replaced the light and the water slightly cleared up. Still cloudy three days later.

Now I have white fuzz growing on all the rocks and slime growing on my filter socks.

Is this just a basic bacterial infection that I can wait out or am I doing something wrong...

65 gal Red Sea with sump. 2 year old live rock, one month old sand (likely a contributing factor), itching new added lately other than uv light, protein skimmer, nitrates 3 (nyos). Please let me know what else you need. I can’t wait to get rid of the slime and cloudy water.

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe post a picture and list your water parameters so someone can weigh-in.
Ammonia nitrite 0
Nitrate between 1-3 (nyos)
Phosphate between 0 - .25 (api)
Alk 10 (salifert)
Calcium 440

The tank is clearer but you can still see the haze. I’m thinking the uv light I added helped the clarity but not enough. Also the white fuzz is growing on a lot of things. The filter socks have a slime growing on the outside that comes off in sheets, slimy like a bacterial bloom but I just want to know what else I can do to get through it.

weaf1co.jpg

Jg8CduA.jpg

T0zJt8F.jpg

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas? I can’t get the milky water and fuzz to go away. It’s been like this for almost two weeks probably. It got real bad then a little better but it’s still cloudy. I’ve done a couple water changes also.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back