Simple meat recipe good enough?

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do a more simple mixture of raw meats (all bought from a local fish supply before phosphate) will this be enough nutrition for my fish?

Clam
Scallop
Maybe mussel?
Shrimp whole
Squid whole
PE mysis
Small bottle of selcon

I have tangs, leopard wrasse, hawkfish, clowns, starry blenny etc. The tangs get nori daily. If I don’t add the things in other recipes like fish eggs, krill, cyclops, spirulina etc etc, will my recipe be nutritious enough?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If I do a more simple mixture of raw meats (all bought from a local fish supply before phosphate) will this be enough nutrition for my fish?

Clam
Scallop
Maybe mussel?
Shrimp whole
Squid whole
PE mysis
Small bottle of selcon

I have tangs, leopard wrasse, hawkfish, clowns, starry blenny etc. The tangs get nori daily. If I don’t add the things in other recipes like fish eggs, krill, cyclops, spirulina etc etc, will my recipe be nutritious enough?
Add aminos and vitamins to the mix as well as seaweed or kelp
Supplement with :
Hikari veggie diet
LRS herbivore diet
Hikari marine cuisine
Formula 2 frozen

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add aminos and vitamins to the mix as well as seaweed or kelp
Supplement with :
Hikari veggie diet
LRS herbivore diet
Hikari marine cuisine
Formula 2 frozen
Thanks. I think the selcon is the aminos and vitamins right? What else would you add to the recipe itself? I have formula 2, but my goal is to not buy such a variety of foods, and just have a container with one food, plus supplement with unroasted unsalted nori and macro algae for the herbivores daily.

I’m looking to make a decent enough frozen so that I don’t have to buy frozen food anymore. LRS is $25 for 8oz, so essentially $50 per lb. Trying to make my own now lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks. I think the selcon is the aminos and vitamins right? What else would you add to the recipe itself? I have formula 2, but my goal is to not buy such a variety of foods, and just have a container with one food, plus supplement with unroasted unsalted nori and macro algae for the herbivores daily.

I’m looking to make a decent enough frozen so that I don’t have to buy frozen food anymore. LRS is $25 for 8oz, so essentially $50 per lb. Trying to make my own now lol
Selcon - vitamins
Aminos- seachem fuel or brightwell

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made fish food and so glad I did. I should have added some garlic and selcon but couldn't justify the price. Plus seafood on its own is healthy! I doubt it will really make that much of a factor if you are feeding them a variety natural diet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made fish food and so glad I did. I should have added some garlic and selcon but couldn't justify the price. Plus seafood on its own is healthy! I doubt it will really make that much of a factor if you are feeding them a variety natural diet.
Great! I ended up doing a recipe of frozen squid, fresh shrimp, clam, mussel, and scallops all from a local fish house that gets fish daily from boats. I added a bottle of selcon because I had it just for some extra boost

Ended up making 2 lbs of meat and cut into cubes. It was a great deal considering LRS is $30 for a half lb. I’ll still but it and mix it in a little, but I have a lot of mouths to feed so I usually just blow through food supply lol.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! I ended up doing a recipe of frozen squid, fresh shrimp, clam, mussel, and scallops all from a local fish house that gets fish daily from boats. I added a bottle of selcon because I had it just for some extra boost

Ended up making 2 lbs of meat and cut into cubes. It was a great deal considering LRS is $30 for a half lb. I’ll still but it and mix it in a little, but I have a lot of mouths to feed so I usually just blow through food supply lol.
I didnt realize LRS was only half a LB. I got 10lbs of seafood for around $70. The fish love it! I no longer have to ration food. Next up is getting dragon breath algae so i can get of this annoying cost of Nori sheets.

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt realize LRS was only half a LB. I got 10lbs of seafood for around $70. The fish love it! I no longer have to ration food. Next up is getting dragon breath algae so i can get of this annoying cost of Nori sheets.
Yeah that’s 8oz for almost $30 with tax. So that’s like almost $60 per lb.

I made 2.5 lbs and a fresh seafood pasta dinner for two with less than $40 of meat lol! Plus added the bottle of selcon. Not to the dinner though.

You can get nori on Amazon. Just look for one with 0 sodium and unroasted, there are a couple of those on there. I feed the ocean nutrition plus garlic that I get from Petco, it’s not the cheapest one but they really like it so I just stick with it

Peter C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clam
Scallop
Maybe mussel?
Shrimp whole
Squid whole
PE mysis
Small bottle of selcon

This all looks good, one thing I might consider is to not go too heavy on the mussels. Depending where they are harvested from they could have minor pollutants in them and I have had issues in the past at some of the public aquariums I work at with feeding mussels. Totally fine periodically just don't make it the center of the diet. I would also swap between selcon and different vitamin mixture. Selcon can be kind of fatty and expensive so alternating with a seachem product like vetteguy53081 recommends is sound advice and adds vitamin variety and helps with cost.

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all looks good, one thing I might consider is to not go too heavy on the mussels. Depending where they are harvested from they could have minor pollutants in them and I have had issues in the past at some of the public aquariums I work at with feeding mussels. Totally fine periodically just don't make it the center of the diet. I would also swap between selcon and different vitamin mixture. Selcon can be kind of fatty and expensive so alternating with a seachem product like vetteguy53081 recommends is sound advice and adds vitamin variety and helps with cost.
Gotcha. It is a fair percentage of the meat I used this time..probably equal with clam meat.. so I will use less on the next batch. What pollutants did you notice in them?

I used a whole smaller bottle of selcon this time. I figured $15 spread out over 2.5 lbs of meat was ok, and I had it on hand.. I’m going to look into some other vitamins to supplement as well. Thanks a lot for the reply!

Peter C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. It is a fair percentage of the meat I used this time..probably equal with clam meat.. so I will use less on the next batch. What pollutants did you notice in them?

I used a whole smaller bottle of selcon this time. I figured $15 spread out over 2.5 lbs of meat was ok, and I had it on hand.. I’m going to look into some other vitamins to supplement as well. Thanks a lot for the reply!
The pollutants can vary a ton depending on where you are getting the mussels from and a whole lot of other factors. But if you are purchasing mussels fit for human consumption I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the issues we noticed corresponded to bio toxins from algal blooms and showed up mostly in our swell sharks. We also were collecting our own mussels through divers that worked for the aquarium. If you don't have any sharks I would say the risk of having issues is fairly small and you should be good to have mussels are a staple in the diet. Best of luck with the feed, it sounds like your fish will be eating super well :)

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pollutants can vary a ton depending on where you are getting the mussels from and a whole lot of other factors. But if you are purchasing mussels fit for human consumption I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the issues we noticed corresponded to bio toxins from algal blooms and showed up mostly in our swell sharks. We also were collecting our own mussels through divers that worked for the aquarium. If you don't have any sharks I would say the risk of having issues is fairly small and you should be good to have mussels are a staple in the diet. Best of luck with the feed, it sounds like your fish will be eating super well :)
Thanks a lot. I got all of my seafood from a place that gets it right off the boats and sells it fresh. They have whole fish on ice in bins, and you grab the fish you want lol.

I’m sure some of the non native things were brought in. I’m always learning though and will keep an eye out for these things and the seafoods origin.. (learned about sodium triphosphate on scallops and I was avoiding that for sure)

So far they are loving the food just as much or more than Larry’s, it will be nice filler while I really figure out a good all around vitamin enriched meat food to use full time.

zoejogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mixture of raw meats you listed can be a good source of nutrition for your fish, as it contains a variety of proteins and nutrients. However, it is important to note that fish have specific dietary requirements, and a varied diet is essential for their health and wellbeing.
It's good that you are already feeding your tangs nori daily, as this provides them with important plant-based nutrients. Adding other ingredients, such as fish eggs, krill, cyclops, spirulina, and other supplements like Selcon can also help provide a more complete and balanced diet for your fish.
While your recipe can be nutritious, it's important to keep in mind that feeding the same foods repeatedly can lead to nutritional deficiencies and health issues over time. Variety is key when it comes to feeding fish, so it's a good idea to rotate different types of food to ensure your fish are getting all the necessary nutrients.
It's also important to ensure that the raw meats you are using are of high quality and sourced from reputable suppliers to avoid the risk of contamination or disease. Additionally, it's a good idea to consult with a veterinarian or an expert in fish nutrition to ensure that your fish are receiving a well-balanced diet.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 month growth of my Orange shoulder after committing to a homemade food with love, and plus 8 feeds per day

Photo_2023-02-20_07-56-22_PM.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back