Sincere Thank You on copper testing advice

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish, @Reefahholic - a shout out to you folks for bringing up the Chemetrics Copper Test as an alternative. I was way overdosed on Coppersafe/API until I received the Chemetric test. I just struggle with colors testing. I had already diluted it once but found I needed to dilute again! This test is very clear and I’m finally comfortable I’m at a safe therapeutic level.

Regretfully, I lost a yellow tang :( which I believe was a result of overdose. My other fish in QT are eating/active and seem fine. I strongly suggest giving this test a try if you struggle reading the API test.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear the Chemetrics test kit has got you back on track! :)

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to post this, but I bought the Chemetrics test and it shows 3.0 when I dose properly to 2.0. And the API kit shows 2.0.

So I chose not to lower my dose to where the Chemetrics shows 2, I don’t trust it.

My 4 tangs in copper are doing great. They all had velvet before.

OP
OP
Gmj4409

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to post this, but I bought the Chemetrics test and it shows 3.0 when I dose properly to 2.0. And the API kit shows 2.0.

So I chose not to lower my dose to where the Chemetrics shows 2, I don’t trust it.

My 4 tangs in copper are doing great. They all had velvet before.
The 2.0 and 3.0 on the API sample card dont even look like same color as the vial color to me. I know I’m not the only one based on the number of API copper posts. You have some good eyes. Thanks for the input.

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have that same problem with the Chemetrics test. The test vial color is clearly different than the reference vials.

OP
OP
Gmj4409

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have that same problem with the Chemetrics test. The test vial color is clearly different than the reference vials.
I found I had to slightly tilt the flat reference vials while staying under a light. I also positioned the sample vial on the reference board while doing this. None of them are easy for me but this test was somewhat clear.

I saw a reference on another thread here to using a digital freshwater tester? This what the hobby really needs along with a solid standards sample to collaborate.

I’ve also heard lots of us have minor color issues - I know I do. I guess it’s in the eyes of beholder for now.

OP
OP
Gmj4409

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found I had to slightly tilt the flat reference vials while staying under a light. I also positioned the sample vial on the reference board while doing this. None of them are easy for me but this test was somewhat clear.

I saw a reference on another thread here to using a digital freshwater tester? This what the hobby really needs along with a solid standards sample to collaborate.

I’ve also heard lots of us have minor color issues - I know I do. I guess it’s in the eyes of beholder for now.
@dealseer - took chemetric copper reference outside with the sample and sample was indeed a different color then the reference. I returned inside under artificial light and it matched. Not sure why? Reflections outside?

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one who can't read the API test. I even took pictures of my own reference samples and then pictures of test vials and couldn't really match. Every picture looked different... some lighter some darker. I bought the Chemetrics kit for this go-round with copper. I much prefer CP as it eliminates the testing, but unfortunately can't be used with wrasses.

OP
OP
Gmj4409

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one who can't read the API test. I even took pictures of my own reference samples and then pictures of test vials and couldn't really match. Every picture looked different... some lighter some darker. I bought the Chemetrics kit for this go-round with copper. I much prefer CP as it eliminates the testing, but unfortunately can't be used with wrasses.
I’m with you on the API test. Extremely frustrating & dangerous for our fish in QT. I’d like to hear your thoughts on Chemetrics after using. Thanks

Back