Singapore Angel Feeding Advice please

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a young Singapore Angel, about 3" long. She is doing well, has a good shape, and is an enthusiastic feeder - but she's like a kid that won't eat vegetables. Her diet is shrimp: mysis, brine, krill, etc., or anything that sinks slowly or stays in mid water - and she'll eat nothing else apart from some algae she pecks off the rocks.

I bought some Ocean Nutrition Angelfish food, which is supposed to have all an Angelfish needs, but it sinks too fast, and she will not eat from the bottom. Likewise with pellets, and many other foods - they just feed the crabs. She won't take flake from the surface, only those few bits that sink (and even then, she's not keen).

She looks well fed, and I'm not especially worried yet, but if her diet is deficient in anything I need a way to fix it.

Thanks for your help.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a young Singapore Angel, about 3" long. She is doing well, has a good shape, and is an enthusiastic feeder - but she's like a kid that won't eat vegetables. Her diet is shrimp: mysis, brine, krill, etc., or anything that sinks slowly or stays in mid water - and she'll eat nothing else apart from some algae she pecks off the rocks.

I bought some Ocean Nutrition Angelfish food, which is supposed to have all an Angelfish needs, but it sinks too fast, and she will not eat from the bottom. Likewise with pellets, and many other foods - they just feed the crabs. She won't take flake from the surface, only those few bits that sink (and even then, she's not keen).

She looks well fed, and I'm not especially worried yet, but if her diet is deficient in anything I need a way to fix it.

Thanks for your help.
I have a captive bred one from Poma Labs and only feed it TDO pellets. It looks great and is about 3", as well. Love my Singapore angel, but I can't have nice corals; it gobbles them up.

OP
OP
Mark Goode

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a captive bred one from Poma Labs and only feed it TDO pellets. It looks great and is about 3", as well. Love my Singapore angel, but I can't have nice corals; it gobbles them up.
I haven't had that problem yet. If I leave her too long without a meal she'll peck at my torch coral, but I've seen no sign of damage. It just sends the torch into a sulk.

A bigger problem is she's becoming quite the bully lately.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reef masstick. Or try draining the frozen food off on a quality pellet like tdo or nyos and let it
Soak in. Then add a few. May get a hit
From the shrimp scent.

OP
OP
Mark Goode

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef masstick. Or try draining the frozen food off on a quality pellet like tdo or nyos and let it
Soak in. Then add a few. May get a hit
From the shrimp scent.
Okay, I've seen Reef Mastick here in Merrie England, I'll try that. Thanks.

Shiva89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through lots of these before i got one to eat. Ended up buying clams at the grocery store, rubber banding that to a rock, and the angel went nuts on it. Transitioned to frozen mysis, etc. Went through a full qt. Put him in the main display. So excited! Two days later, colony of high end zoas.......gone. Angel fish went back to fish store....ugh

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are omnivores, though. I feed mine a bit of nori (the red nori) as part of its regular diet, and it grazes on it throughout the day.

While this fish does enjoy clams on the half shell, it goes completely nuts for Hikari Reef Riot. It's worth considering if you want to add some variety to your angel's diet.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back