Single Maroon Clown

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my tank went through a velvet outbreak and killed almost all of my fish. This included a royal gramma and a Midas Blenny. I had another Midas Blenny in another tank that died from an unknown disease so my lack of quarantine has been my downfall. The last fish left in this tank is a maroon clown and he has shown no signs of disease. I’ve tried to catch him to put him in a QT but he goes crazy and there is no way I can catch him. But I will remove the rock if I have to. What is the chance that the clown is carrying the disease and will give it to new arrivals? If I keep him in the tank on his own for 6-8 weeks, could it kill the velvet or is there no chance he won’t be carrying it? Thank you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Grab it at night while it’s listless or else fish trap

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a risk considering velvet wont show for a few weeks and it kills fast. to be safe id wait a few weeks before adding more fish in and I would quarantine new ones in the meantime while your waiting for the clown to be done - kali

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my tank went through a velvet outbreak and killed almost all of my fish. This included a royal gramma and a Midas Blenny. I had another Midas Blenny in another tank that died from an unknown disease so my lack of quarantine has been my downfall. The last fish left in this tank is a maroon clown and he has shown no signs of disease. I’ve tried to catch him to put him in a QT but he goes crazy and there is no way I can catch him. But I will remove the rock if I have to. What is the chance that the clown is carrying the disease and will give it to new arrivals? If I keep him in the tank on his own for 6-8 weeks, could it kill the velvet or is there no chance he won’t be carrying it? Thank you.

Fairly high risk. Catch that sucker!

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab it at night while it’s listless or else fish trap
its a risk considering velvet wont show for a few weeks and it kills fast. to be safe id wait a few weeks before adding more fish in and I would quarantine new ones in the meantime while your waiting for the clown to be done - kali
Fairly high risk. Catch that sucker!
Thanks everyone! It’s annoying but yeah has to be done. Velvet can be really debilitating at times. Quarantine for me from now on.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back