Six line wrasse acting strange

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a six line wrasse on Friday and he seemed fine but now late last night into this morning he’s been acting strange, not actively swimming and just laying on the sand bed. Any thoughts

44FBFFC6-4260-4025-9E64-FEDB0804F55C.jpeg 7AB78A3F-718D-4F04-9446-EA24A1E3CBFE.jpeg 4CB40014-9FED-4187-8C55-5F6DD7E00278.jpeg FBAFFD87-C46B-4F0D-9FC8-8A7A7E77D892.jpeg A3EC5E42-1F75-411F-933D-07D0C8A91D48.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, The tank is way to bare for a 6 line wrasse, or most other fish. Thy constantly go from hiding place to hiding place and if they can't get out of sight, they do what yours is doing. It is very stressed.
I have a mating pair now and have been keeping them for decades. I can almost never get a picture because they are never still, but rarely come out in the open for long.
6 Line.jpg

OP
OP
Piscean_Introvert

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, The tank is way to bare for a 6 line wrasse, or most other fish. Thy constantly go from hiding place to hiding place and if they can't get out of sight, they do what yours is doing. It is very stressed.
I have a mating pair now and have been keeping them for decades. I can almost never get a picture because they are never still, but rarely come out in the open for long.
6 Line.jpg

There are plenty of hiding spots he hid pretty much all day Saturday in holes and crevices that I didn’t even know existed in the tank

image.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that spot in the first picture as well. Can you take a look at the top sticky post in this section? If offers some suggestions as to background information that can help us try to come up with a solution to the problem.

Thanks,

Jay

OP
OP
Piscean_Introvert

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume: 55g
Filtration type: Marineland canister 220
Lighting
How long has the aquarium been established?
Digital image of the aquarium under white light

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature: 78.7
pH: I
Salinity / specific gravity: 1.025
Ammonia: near zero (API)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: near 0

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? (see below) no
Are any invertebrates affected? No
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4) 88bpm
Are the affected fish still feeding? No
What remedies have you tried so far? None
Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light
Short video of the fish (linked YouTube videos work well)

E5BE3A35-FACD-4930-9580-C913C553F051.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., thanks for the background info. So - the fish isn't eating and its respiration rate seems a bit high, and then there is the cloudy lesion on its head. The lack of feeding response is the most critical issue, not because of lack of food per-se (they go longer than that without food while travelling through the supply chain) but rather, a lack of feeding response means the fish is ill. It could be "ill at ease" as Paul B said, this species certainly prefers an older, more established tank with lots of hidey holes - however, you said it was hiding well the first day or so, so now, I'm less sure about that being the issue.

I always hate to say this, but a new wrasse, with a white spot and slightly rapid breathing could be Uronema....

Ack! Just saw your post that it just died - sorry!

If it *was* Uronema, you would not have been able to treat it in that tank and most treatments fail for that disease anyway. I would contact your dealer and ask them about a guarantee - its only been in your tank a couple of days and showed symptoms after just a day, right?

Jay

OP
OP
Piscean_Introvert

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., thanks for the background info. So - the fish isn't eating and its respiration rate seems a bit high, and then there is the cloudy lesion on its head. The lack of feeding response is the most critical issue, not because of lack of food per-se (they go longer than that without food while travelling through the supply chain) but rather, a lack of feeding response means the fish is ill. It could be "ill at ease" as Paul B said, this species certainly prefers an older, more established tank with lots of hidey holes - however, you said it was hiding well the first day or so, so now, I'm less sure about that being the issue.

I always hate to say this, but a new wrasse, with a white spot and slightly rapid breathing could be Uronema....

Ack! Just saw your post that it just died - sorry!

If it *was* Uronema, you would not have been able to treat it in that tank and most treatments fail for that disease anyway. I would contact your dealer and ask them about a guarantee - its only been in your tank a couple of days and showed symptoms after just a day, right?

Jay

yes that is correct and I’ve spoken with the LFS and she indicated there is no guarantee for saltwater fish needless to say I will not be using her anymore. Should I be worried about the other fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema tends to hit new fish, and certain species hardest: chromis, wrasse, anthias and sometimes butterflyfish. Just to be safe, I would wait at least two weeks before trying another fish...a month would be even better. Of course, quarantining all new fish is best.
Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back