Six Line Wrasse and Neon Blue Dottyback.. can I add Flame Angel or rid first two?

YourInsuranceDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.

75g reef tank. Will be moving to a 125g/180g by about next Christmas (when my student loans are done and I can very quickly invest large sum of money).

Currently have:
- Blue hippo about 2 inches
- Pair of clowns
- YWM Goby
- 6 Line Wrasse (for 6 months)
- Neon Blue Dottyback (for 6 months)
- Tail spotted blenny

Made an impulse buy on 6 line and NBD in spring. LFS misled to me in the moment. Still my fault for not researching like I am doing now. NBD made swift work of pistol shrimp... However, everything gets along great. I assume because 6 line and NBD were added together and last and I have a lot of rockwork for hiding. Have even moved a few small pieces to create more a few months ago.

I would like new fish but am worried about adding ANYTHING because of the 6 line and NBD possibly bullying them. While I have never witnessed them bully anything else or each other, I bet my luck would be anything added will be bullied. However, I saw that dwarf angels could potentially work... So, has anyone had luck with a flame angel with these two potential bullies?

If yes, is there anything in my power besides feeding consistently to prevent a flame from nipping at corals? They have always been a fish I wanted (prior to other two) but always worried about coral nipping.

Catching the 6 line and NBD for trade/sell is just going to be the end of me, so I thought maybe to just get one more fish that could be compatible. However, if too risky, I might just have to work up a fish trap of some sort to yank them and open up more options + be able to add inverts again.... If you have any other fish suggestions, please share.

Thanks!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.

75g reef tank. Will be moving to a 125g/180g by about next Christmas (when my student loans are done and I can very quickly invest large sum of money).

Currently have:
- Pair of clowns
- YWM Goby
- Tail spotted blenny

Made an impulse buy on 6 line and NBD in spring. LFS misled to me in the moment. Still my fault for not researching like I am doing now. NBD made swift work of pistol shrimp... However, everything gets along great. I assume because 6 line and NBD were added together and last and I have a lot of rockwork for hiding. Have even moved a few small pieces to create more a few months ago.

I would like new fish but am worried about adding ANYTHING because of the 6 line and NBD possibly bullying them. While I have never witnessed them bully anything else or each other, I bet my luck would be anything added will be bullied. However, I saw that dwarf angels could potentially work... So, has anyone had luck with a flame angel with these two potential bullies?

If yes, is there anything in my power besides feeding consistently to prevent a flame from nipping at corals? They have always been a fish I wanted (prior to other two) but always worried about coral nipping.

Catching the 6 line and NBD for trade/sell is just going to be the end of me, so I thought maybe to just get one more fish that could be compatible. However, if too risky, I might just have to work up a fish trap of some sort to yank them and open up more options + be able to add inverts again.... If you have any other fish suggestions, please share.

Thanks!

If you care more about your corals, then don't bother with risky fish... wait and later setup FOWLR.

If you can live with flame angel or any other fish potentially nipping your corals (your blue hippo will grow up and do it...), then keep adding fish to your mixed reef. What you have is and will be fine for what you plan.

Flame angel may eventually become your most aggressive - dwarf angels have Napoleon complex or something... but my heart feels I must have flame angel. Mine is part of my Death Dealer squad, so when I add new fish I've gotten very good at using acclimation box on magnets moving into all areas of tank (high, low, sides, etc) ensuring no "territory" will be restricted for new fish trying to come in.

I had a flame with dottyback in the 80s/90s and my six line wrasse lived with a flame angel during its second home and then again with me (I was wrasse's third owner - had wrasse before adding my flame).

I think you'll do fine, as long as you aren't crazy about keeping every bit of every coral intact... Instead, grow corals into colonies and if the fish nibble a bit, well it is less I've got to frag back (not that my hippo nibbles in the correct areas lol)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.

Currently have:
- Pair of clowns
- YWM Goby
- Tail spotted blenny

Thanks!
You’ll also be needing to worry about your blue hippo. These guys are nasty once they start aging. If you can, wait to get the 6’ tank before anything else. Your tank is already rather full in terms of high bioload fish. An Angel is just going to add to that and will also start more aggression for territory as you’ll begin to lose some more and each fish will likely end up wanting more and more.
Your six line is unlikely to be nice in that tank size. The cases I’ve found of sixlines being nice are in large tanks with a lot of rockwork (more rockwork than some of the tanks should have).

OP
OP
Y

YourInsuranceDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll also be needing to worry about your blue hippo. These guys are nasty once they start aging. If you can, wait to get the 6’ tank before anything else. Your tank is already rather full in terms of high bioload fish. An Angel is just going to add to that and will also start more aggression for territory as you’ll begin to lose some more and each fish will likely end up wanting more and more.
Your six line is unlikely to be nice in that tank size. The cases I’ve found of sixlines being nice are in large tanks with a lot of rockwork (more rockwork than some of the tanks should have).
I will likely just not push it then. If I can get the six line and dottyback out by some miracle, I will look at safer options than the flame, but will just not push my luck and lead to more headaches.
But dang. It’s going to be a PITA trying to catch the two dudes.

OP
OP
Y

YourInsuranceDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve captured the dottyback. And have a few hours to catch the wrasse as well if I choose to get another fish.

If I do, do you think bioload will be low enough to replace these two?

I’d like to replace the pistol shrimp, eventually get a mandarin after dosing pods for a couple of months, and then perhaps another blenny or smaller sized fish. Any recommendations? I obviously want reef safe but also invert safe. I love the weird and unique choices (despite my current fish being typical :) )

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back