Six line wrasse and possum wrasse

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had a six line in my 20g for about 18 months now. I’ve had a possum wrasse in my 40 breeder for about 5-6 months. Would It be okay if I add the six line to my 40 breeder? I have red flat worms and been siphoning some out, would like to see if he helps eat some before I add the flatworm exit to the tank. My tanks are right next to each other and I’ve transferred corals from them recently as well, I didn’t notice when exactly my 40 breeder got them but they had to have over populated within the past few days.

OP
OP
J

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could swap them?

I wouldn't try combining them.
Yeah I rather not. The clowns in my 20g are aggressive. Small tank won’t have the amount of cover a possum wrasse likes. I was told on another post in Facebook I think that a yellow coris would get along with the possum

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d get rid of the six line, the two wrasses wouldn’t get along and the six line would probably murder the possum.
I think six lines deserve larger tanks than the average size tank to have more rockwork and be able to exist with other fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36x18x16. The six line is in a 17x17 wb20
That tank could have a small Halichoeres in it for a bit then. I’d go for chrysus or iridis since they stay small as females (3.5”).
You do need a sand bed for them though.

OP
OP
J

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank could have a small Halichoeres in it for a bit then. I’d go for chrysus or iridis since they stay small as females (3.5”).
You do need a sand bed for them though.
Just googled them. Are those the family that the Christmas and like melanurus wrasse belong too?

OP
OP
J

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s what I’m thinking, my six line has never ever given me problems. He was the first fish in that tank, I’ve never had any problems in 18 months. BUT both my possum wrasse and sixline look similar, small with similar shape. That would probably make the six line really aggressive towards him… I’m skeptical because I had 2 damsels in the 40 breeder and it was hell getting them out. Would prefer to not have to deal with that issue with 2 wrasses

OP
OP
J

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a sixline and melanurus wrasse in my current tank. I've never really seen any outward aggression from either, but I suspect YMMV.
Yes. They look different thought , melanurus will usually be bigger and blue. I had 1 in the past, lost him a blenny and a clownfish 1 after another to a emerald crab that grew too big in my tank. My six line and possum wrasse are both red and the identical size with similar fins, my melanurus looked nothing like them. He was about 3-4 inches and really blue and shaped like a banana. I’ll see if I find another one or a yellow coris at a lfs, I’ll buy one.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a blueside wrasse last week but he unfortunately didn't make it. No sign of disease or illness or aggression from any of the other fish. I think there were some delays in shipping to my LFS along with temperature fluctuations that may have simply been too stressful.

I'm in the North so they're going from sub-tropical to sub-arctic in a matter of days, and with Omicron everything's been getting delayed.

OP
OP
J

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a blueside wrasse last week but he unfortunately didn't make it. No sign of disease or illness or aggression from any of the other fish. I think there were some delays in shipping to my LFS along with temperature fluctuations that may have simply been too stressful.

I'm in the North so they're going from sub-tropical to sub-arctic in a matter of days, and with Omicron everything's been getting delayed.
I have good luck with fish tbh. Especially wrasses, I’ve had a clowns get sick and die soon after adding them. Maybe they were at the lfs for a day or 2 at most

never had a wrasse die (they usually stay in a few days)

A healthy kole tang I bought about 2 months has been doing great, he’s about 2.5 inches. They had him in the shop for 2 weeks and he looked fat and healthy so I took him. I feed him flake and frozen

I think it’s important to ask how long they’ve had the fish and just doing a quick eye test to see if he looks good. Ask them to feed the tank, I had a fox face before the kole tang. I had him for about 10 months, idk when I got Dino’s and was battling them I lost him and some corals. He looked all stung up from my anenomes but that was probably after death I’m guessing. He’s another fish they had for a week or 2 and they fed in front of me. Healthy fish he was about 3.5-4 inches

I live in Florida btw, so shipping should be better I’m guessing

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish was very healthy and was eating. I picked up another angelfish from the same shipment that hasn't had any issues, so I'm just going to chalk it up to dumb luck. Wrasses in particular seem overly susceptible to stress during transit.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back