Six Line Wrasse with white spot?

leotigris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a six line wrasse and made the school boy error of not having a QT tank. Shortly after adding him I noticed a white spot near his tail. I must have missed this earlier, as it’s just above the peacock feather like pattern on his tail.

At first I thought it was part of his patterns, but looking closer I can see that it's raised. I thought it’s white spot so decided to treat with something that's not so harsh. Went with API Pimafix and been dosing for 7 days.

5321D805-6F06-415C-B5B1-B6B60EFEF049.jpeg

The white spot is still there after 7 days, I read that they usually drop off after 3 days? Is this Ick or is the spot something else? It's a bit hard to see in the picture, I’ve circled the area where the spot is.

This is the only spot I can see at the moment, there are also two clowns in the tank which are not showing any signs of white spot. All fish look happy and healthy, they are very actively swimming around.

I’m waiting for the spot to drop off before doing a water change to try and vacuum up the parasites. I think I will continue dosing with Pimafix for a few more days.

I’m really hoping this isn’t Ick, how long can the spot stay on the fish before dropping?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a six line wrasse and made the school boy error of not having a QT tank. Shortly after adding him I noticed a white spot near his tail. I must have missed this earlier, as it’s just above the peacock feather like pattern on his tail.

At first I thought it was part of his patterns, but looking closer I can see that it's raised. I thought it’s white spot so decided to treat with something that's not so harsh. Went with API Pimafix and been dosing for 7 days.

5321D805-6F06-415C-B5B1-B6B60EFEF049.jpeg

The white spot is still there after 7 days, I read that they usually drop off after 3 days? Is this Ick or is the spot something else? It's a bit hard to see in the picture, I’ve circled the area where the spot is.

This is the only spot I can see at the moment, there are also two clowns in the tank which are not showing any signs of white spot. All fish look happy and healthy, they are very actively swimming around.

I’m waiting for the spot to drop off before doing a water change to try and vacuum up the parasites. I think I will continue dosing with Pimafix for a few more days.

I’m really hoping this isn’t Ick, how long can the spot stay on the fish before dropping?
Since the spot has been there 7+ days, it isn't ich. The typical ich trophont drops off within about 3 days from the point it is large like that. As you've seen, the Pimafix is unlikely to do anything. Since the number of spots are not increasing, it is unlikely to be any of the more contagious protozoan or trematode diseases. There is a rare disease caused by a microsporidian that can cause white xenomas, or pustules. No treatment for that, so in the end, I'd just say keep an eye on this fish for additional symptoms, but for now, it is likely just a "pimple".

jay

OP
OP
leotigris

leotigris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the spot has been there 7+ days, it isn't ich. The typical ich trophont drops off within about 3 days from the point it is large like that. As you've seen, the Pimafix is unlikely to do anything. Since the number of spots are not increasing, it is unlikely to be any of the more contagious protozoan or trematode diseases. There is a rare disease caused by a microsporidian that can cause white xenomas, or pustules. No treatment for that, so in the end, I'd just say keep an eye on this fish for additional symptoms, but for now, it is likely just a "pimple".

jay
Thanks Jay

I’ll stop using the Pimafix and do a water change in the next day or two to start removing it from the tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back